Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running..

Options
  • 13-01-2012 3:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Ok guys I rescued a puppy from a shelter there bout six months and we promptly became best friends! The only problem we have is if he gets out of the house with no leash on, he is very hard to catch and we live on a main road and he doesn't seem to have copped on about the dangers of it yet! We bring him out to the toilet on a leash and he runs or walks a fair bit everyday, me and my siblings being into fitness and my dad being a farmer, he gets plenty of exercise! But he is just so hard to catch! Anyway I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to coax him back inside, I know he is only a puppy and playing with us but I just chased him around the fields for the last half an hour! And if you look at when this was posted, it is half two on a friday morning!! Haha!!

Also, if I could post a picture, could anyone tell me what they think he is bred is? The pound had no idea of his age or breed and I have a couple of ideas but not fully sure! I wanna know just to make sure we are working him enough and stimulating him enough and stuff! Thanks in advance for any responses!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Until you train him to ' recall ' be sure he does not get out without a leash.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Just make sure he is always on a lead before you even open the door to go outside.

Bring him to some training classes to get him sued to commands etc.

Its not safe to have a dog running around like this so its up to you to be responsible and make sure he is always on a lead before leaving the house.

If your dog causes an accident you will be held liable if there are damages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

We all know the feeling. Luckily our guy goes stright for the gate beside us where his arch enemy lives and barks at it, meaning he's easy to catch.

We have found that yep recall work is important, but for those times it just isn't working, chase him for 1-2 minutes, so you have his attention, then run away, back towards the house, he'll chase you as part of the game, right inside the door. Then say come, and give a treat. It always seems to work.

The nightmare is when there are cars around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

My guy did this when I first got him, apart from general recall training, I stood with him outside on a long lead not actually going anywhere, practiced going out and back in again etc. repeatedly and also rewarded him for coming back into the house with his favourite toy. He will now ask to have the door opened so he can stick his nose out, turn right around and demand a reward!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Don't bring him out unless you have the lead securely attached so use a leather lead and wrap the loop around your hand that way the dog can't get away.

Use a baby gate or ensure that people close doors before the front door it open, no matter how good or bad the dog is at recall a lot of dogs will run out on to a road if they get a chance some just don't have any road sense.

So you have to be vigilant. Also start teaching him recall, maybe if you can enroll in some dog training classes (ones that only use humane methods of training) that will help show you how to teach the dog proper recall. Clicker training could help as well.

Never let him off the lead even if he learns recall, you can invest in really super long leather leads or the ones they use for horses for use in open spaces (not near roads because the dog could still run out on the road on an extended lead).

You'll have to as a family start a new routine of door closing it's the only way really but teaching the dog recall and especially 'stay' is very important and it will help a lot but make sure everyone teaches him the same was so as not to confuse him. Ensure he is microchipped, neutered (if not already) and has a proper collar and id tag on in case he does run off identitag.co.uk are a reliable dog tag company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Agreeing with what everyone else is saying re having a lead on before you open the door/ baby gates..

Also wanted to say, put up a pic! I'm sure there will be plenty of people here who could help try figure out the breed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 home from home pets

Been there, it's hard work. Good luck

Advertisement