Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken Thighs Recipe?

Options
  • 13-01-2012 1:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

Picked up some chicken thighs as Ive never cooked them before but have heard they are very good. I've noticed alot of indian saucey dishes tend to use them.

Any advice on a good recipe for these, maybe something with a bit of spice?

Thanks
    Martyn

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Even though Im vegetarian I do cook for my meat eating family ;)

Chicken Makhani is really good they tell me!

This is a really easy recipie,

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-makhani-indian-butter-chicken/

Make sure you stock up on your spices etc you will need them again :)

Happy cooking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

not spicy but this jamie oliver chicken caesar salad recipe is amazing with chicken thighs. I know the recipe says use legs but its even nicer with the thighs- all the juices cook down into the bread and the crutons are delish...nyom!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jamie-oliver/proper-chicken-caesar-salad-recipe/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

i just posted a burmese/north thai recipe in the cooking club that uses chicken thighs http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76487040#post76487040

you might find it worth a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

I often use thighs because they have so much more flavour than chicken breasts, and they're much more economical. The same preparation also applies to drumsticks and legs (thighs and drumsticks in one). If I buy the legs then I first joint them (separate the drumstick from the thigh at the joint) before cooking.

I always start by putting them in a non-stick frying pan on medium heat without any oil, skin side down to start. I fry the thighs with thighs and the legs with legs because their cooking times differ. Because they contain so much fat they need to have this initial frying period so that you can drain off the excess oil. Fry until juices run clear.

I don't discard the oil, I pour it into a jar which I keep in the fridge. It congeals into a lard which I use it in my flaky pastry preparation for my chicken and bacon pies.

After frying I leave them to drain and cool on a wire rack. Once cooled I strip the meat from the bones and cut off any excess fatty skin (I do like to keep a bit of the skin) and then use the bones, cartilage, and skin trimmings to make chicken stock. I find that if I do this once every 6 weeks or so then I can stock my freezer with the makings of easy meals.

If I have the time I will use some of the chicken to make pies there and then. I freeze them uncooked and they take about half an hour to bake in a hot oven (220 C) from frozen.

The remainder of the cooked chicken can be refrigerated or frozen in meal sized portions. The meat is great in Indian dishes which can easily overpower chicken breast meat. I tend to use chicken breasts for more delicately flavoured dishes and think that they're wasted in a madras or a balti. I would perhaps use breast meat in a korma but I normally have the meat off the bone available to use.

Because it's a bit of a messy job, the oil tends to splatter the cooker top, I tend to fry up a few packs (6 - 10 in my case) on the odd weekend. It sound like a bit of a bother but in 2 to 3 hours I can prepare a meal for that day, and have the base ingredients for another half a dozen easy to prepare meals. If I make pies then I'll need an extra hour. Also, the stock needs to simmer for at least 3 hours so I might need to finish off the stock later, but all that entails is straining it through a sieve and pouring it into storage containers with just one pot to clean. The stock can be refrigerated for a week or so or frozen if you need to keep it for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Chicken Thighs work brilliantly with Jamaican Jerk. Pick up a jar of "Walkerswood Traditional Jamaican Jerk Seasoning" (easy to find) and sparingly rub into the chicken thighs and leave covered in your fridge overnight to marinate properly. This Walkerswood is really hot so be careful how much you use and wash your hands really well afterwards.

Bake slow and long in oven until chicken and try get a nice crisp on the skin. I usually cook outdoors on BBQ for at least an hour on really low heat.

Meat needs to come clean off the bone when eating and they taste even better cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Chicken thighs are unbelievable. My favourite part.

I use them in a chicken and sausage casserole with leek and carrot and fresh basil. For the easiest option, just follow any basic recipe (on back of casserole mix packet).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Thighs are perfect for lemon chicken.

Trim any excess fat and then fry the thighs until golden brown.

Put in a large casserole dish. Add 2cm thick slices of peeled potato. Brush the potatoes with a little bit of oil, maybe the left over oil from frying the chicken.

Sprinkle with crushed garlic, mixed chopped herbs and season.

Pour over the juice from two lemons and a few tablespoons water.

Cook at 170 for about a hour, until both chicken and potatoes are cooked.
    Its hard to give an exact cooking time as different sizes of chicken pieces and potato slices can cook in different times. Also overcrowding the dish slows it down. Once you have got used to cooking it, you can mess with the recipe a lot, to suit your tastes.

Baste every so often and add a bit more water if it is getting dry.

Serve with salad or any green veg.

i just posted a burmese/north thai recipe in the cooking club that uses chicken thighs http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76487040#post76487040

you might find it worth a try!

That looks delicious. I would prepare the same dish slightly differently by adding some of pre-cooked chicken and about 200ml of my stock which would reduce the cooking time by about an hour and a half.

I'm definitely going to give that one a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

This is a popular one.
    I keep it really simple with chicken thighs (on the bone, with skin).

I trim any excess fat off the thighs and season them top and bottom.
    Pre heat your grill.
    Put them, skin side up into a dry cast iron frying pan.
    Cook on a high heat for about 10 minutes. This renders some of the fat out, browns the bone for flavour and starts them cooking.
    Baste the skin with some of the fat from the bottom of the pan.
    Pour a full glass of white or rose wine into the pan - it will boil and splutter.
    Put pan under the grill for about 20 minutes until the skin is nice and crispy and the chicken cooked through.
    Pour the liquid from the pan into a gravy separator, pour off the fat and you have a ridiculously tasty jus.

It's plain but so tasty.

You can spice it up simply by dusting the chicken in spices or by putting herbs or ginger or whatever you want under the skin - this will also flavour the jus.

Think we'll be having this tonight with roast oca, mange toutes and grilled tomatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

I don't discard the oil, I pour it into a jar which I keep in the fridge. It congeals into a lard which I use it in my flaky pastry preparation for my chicken and bacon pies.

I'd love a recipe for that pie please. Sounds great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

That looks delicious. I would prepare the same dish slightly differently by adding some of pre-cooked chicken and about 200ml of my stock which would reduce the cooking time by about an hour and a half.

I'm definitely going to give that one a go.

try it the way is first, it will be worth the extra time I promise :)

trackguy wrote: »
    I'd love a recipe for that pie please. Sounds great!

There you go. It took me a while, but it's not as difficult as it seems. I gave a lot of options which makes the recipe more bulky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Thanks everyone for the replies, I think im going to do the chicken makhani recipe, Ill have to go get all the spices :cool: thanks for the recipe!.

Im definantly going to pick up some of that walkerswood traditional jamaican mix. Ive used the nandos dry rub on chicken and pork before and it was delicious. I'd say that ones even nicer.

Thanks again.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Chicken Thighs work brilliantly with Jamaican Jerk. Pick up a jar of "Walkerswood Traditional Jamaican Jerk Seasoning" (easy to find) and sparingly rub into the chicken thighs and leave covered in your fridge overnight to marinate properly. This Walkerswood is really hot so be careful how much you use and wash your hands really well afterwards.

Bake slow and long in oven until chicken and try get a nice crisp on the skin. I usually cook outdoors on BBQ for at least an hour on really low heat.

Meat needs to come clean off the bone when eating and they taste even better cold.

Im going to try find this Jerk seasoning today and cook these tomorrow for dinner, would it be best to do them at 150C for about an hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Im going to try find this Jerk seasoning today and cook these tomorrow for dinner, would it be best to do them at 150C for about an hour?

I usually do outside on BBQ low and slow. Also pile them on top of one another at beginning so their juices run into one another. Later on space them out so they can brown and skin get crispy. 130 to 150 for an hour sounds about right.

If you can leave marinate overnight they will be better.

...and that Walkerswood is made from Scotch Bonnet peppers so it is really really spicy so be careful!

BailMeOut wrote: »
    I usually do outside on BBQ low and slow. Also pile them on top of one another at beginning so their juices run into one another. Later on space them out so they can brown and skin get crispy. 130 to 150 for an hour sounds about right.

If you can leave marinate overnight they will be better.

...and that Walkerswood is made from Scotch Bonnet peppers so it is really really spicy so be careful!

Yeh I saw you normally do them outside, I love bbq but it might get a bit chilly.

I love very spicey stuff myself, but the gf will be over so I might do 2 thighs with a nandos marinade and 2 with this seasoning so at least I won't be stuck if its too hot.

Cheers

Advertisement