Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotpoint Aquarius W/machine WMA31 - door lock light flashing

Options
  • 13-01-2012 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I have a hotpoint aquarius WMA31 1100 spin washing machine. I have it about 6 yrs. Touch wood until this evening it has been a great machine, no complaints.

Tonight I had a load on, it was quite heavy (sweatshirts and jeans), but not overweight. It was running grand, washing away. I popped to the shop and when I got back the switch for the kitchen sockets had tripped (not sure what caused it, but can only guess it was the washer as that and the fridge are all that was running). When I flipped the switch back and tried to run the machine (wasn't sure if it had rinsed, so wanted to do the wash again) the light that indicated the door is locked keeps flashing. When it flashes it means the door isn't locked, but the door is closing fine, so I'm a bit baffled! :confused:

Its never done this before - as I said, never a days trouble before.

The door is definitely locked, because although the light is flashing, the door can't be opened. To open the door you have to switch it off and wait for the timer to go. I switched it off and left it for a while but no joy, door lock light flashing away each time.

I had a look at the door, even took it off. There is one part of the door where the plastic one of the screw goes into has broken, but I don't think that is affecting it, cos the door is still well attached, and its closing flush (well it must be if its engaging and can't be opened until 60 seconds passes??). But to be sure we managed to fill the little space where the plastic is broken so the screw had something to screw into. Its solidly all attached now.

All I can think of is that its a sensor or something that blew when the power tripped.

Can anyone help? Does it sound like a big job? I've just recently been made redundant so can't afford a new one right now, and am dreading that it might cost a bomb to fix it.

Also, I bought this machine 6yrs ago when my old machine died. The guy I bought it from was on the south side - I originally called him for a repair and he sold me this reconditioned machine. I was a bit nervous, but by god it was a bargain at €150! 6 yrs later and no trouble til now.
    I can't find the number of the chap I bought it from - he was foreign, Indian or Middle Eastern perhaps. If anyone knows who I'm talking about PM me! if he's still around I'd give him a call in a flash!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 godolphin55

had a similar issue with my hotpoint aquarius and when i looked into the issue the reason for the switch tripping was the bearing at the back of the drum had gone and it a few drops of water had dripped out onto the motor at the back ,
    rang up the repair hot line and a new drum was costing about 120 € so i rang a parts shop and got the part second hand for 30€ and fitted it in myself and haven't looked back ,
    have you checked the back of the washing machine for any signs of moisture ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

thanks for that - I'll have a look now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

:D:D:D

managed to find the guy I originally bought the machine from in the phone book. Sharfix is the name of the company and its in Crumlin. Chap that owns it is Patrick. He talked me through checking a few things and from what I was telling him he had a fair idea of the problem, and the parts I needed would be aprox €80, and €40 labour, so €120.

I did a quick ring around and priced the parts he mentioned, and true enough it was around €80 everywhere I rang and some wanted as much as €80 labour/call out.

So I rang Sharfix back, there and then he said he could call out this afternoon. He's just left and I am delighted with the service.
    He showed me what was wrong, and my options were either to pay €120 to repair it, which he had no problem to do or I could buy a reconditioned machine from him for €180. He wasn't pushing me into one choice or the other, and if I had chosen not to go ahead or wanted to wait that would have been fine.

Given that the faulty machine is a reconditioned w/m that I have had for 6 years, I reckon it'll be something else in a few months anyway. Its served me well and only cost me €150 six years ago! The machine he offered me is a newer version of the old one, a hotpoint aquarius too, with 6 month guarantee, and if I even get half the time out of it as the last one I'll be happy.

One phone call and by this afternoon I had a replacement machine, plumbed in and ready to go, old one taken away, and great service all for €180! I'm in north county Dublin and he had no problem coming across the city, didn't haggle about delivery or anything, wasn't pushy.

I would happily recommend Sharfix to anyone looking to repair or replace a home appliance.
    here's the website http://sharfix.ie/

Advertisement