Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meditation teachers or classes in Limerick, Mayo or Galway

Options
  • 13-01-2012 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭

Hello :)

I was wondering if anybody here could recommend any meditation teachers/classes in either the Limerick area or in Galway/Mayo?

My ideal teacher would be capable of working explicitly with concepts like stream entry and A&P, but realistically I would be happy with a basic meditation class within any relatively practical system/tradition. Failing that, I would still be very interested to hear about any meditation related activities in these locations.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭gnu

HI there,

I don't know what A&P is - all I've ever used that abbreviation for is Anatomy and Physiology but I'm guessing you don't mean that!

There's a Zen dojo in Galway and they would certainly be able to instruct you on basic meditation. They don't do courses afaik but they are happy to teach beginners what they need to get going. I'm basing this on a retreat I did with their teacher which I found very beneficial. I've also visited their sister dojo in Dublin.
    http://www.zenireland.com/

I hope you find something that suits.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

Hi gnu, thanks for the reply :)

A&P is an abbreviation for Arising and Passing, an apparently universal event that many meditators experience, but which is not often discussed explicitly - at least not in western settings.

Do you feel like sharing some of your experience on the retreat? I'm curious as to how much individual attention each student gets. My impression of Zen is that you're given the basic instruction and the rest is up to you, i.e. there is not much discussion of where each student may be on their path. Do you think that's accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭gnu

acous wrote: »
    Hi gnu, thanks for the reply :)

A&P is an abbreviation for Arising and Passing, an apparently universal event that many meditators experience, but which is not often discussed explicitly - at least not in western settings.

Do you feel like sharing some of your experience on the retreat? I'm curious as to how much individual attention each student gets. My impression of Zen is that you're given the basic instruction and the rest is up to you, i.e. there is not much discussion of where each student may be on their path. Do you think that's accurate?

You're very welcome acous! Thanks, I hadn't heard of A&P before.

The retreat was really quite wonderful - it's described on their website as their Summer Camp or perhaps Summer sesshin. I had only begun meditating and they were endlessly patient in helping me iron out any issues I had which were mainly to do with my posture. They also taught me how to do kinhin (walking meditation) and anything I needed to know about zendo (meditation hall) etiquette. There were 2 teachers there and several experienced students, a wonderfully supportive environment.

The main practice was very simple, meditating on the breath. If there is discomfort, you just sit and breath. If you hear a bird outside, you just sit and breath. So in a way, yes it is all up to the individual ... but at the same time I could ask anything I wanted and was always given help, advice, reassurance or whatever was appropriate. There was always someone around and they were wonderfully patient and generous with their time and wisdom. For example, I was troubled by shoulder pain and was given advice on my posture and some stretches. I was concerned that my attention kept straying and I was reassured with a smile that was quite normal!

As it turned out, zen wasn't quite right for me for where I was at but it was still hugely beneficial and I would love to go on that retreat again sometime.

Any other questions, just let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

acous, if youre looking for a direct route to stream entry I can help you if you pm me, but Ill warn you, it aint for the faint hearted!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 blackie100

Their a meditation class in Galway where lots of
    guidance is given, on Gal its on a Thur at 8
    and class begin again on the 9th of feb.
    They also have a class in ennis
    heres the website. This is quite different
    to Zen Buddhism maybe try both and see
    which one you like.
    http://meditateinireland.com/
    http://meditateinireland.com/weekly-classes/galway/

• Advertisement
Advertisement