Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coppersmith

Options
  • 12-01-2012 11:10pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So there were 2 gorgeous little birds outside m window eating from the bird feeder today.
    They were gorgeous with black,red and yellow faces but before I got the camera they flew off.
    I googled and saw a picture of a Coppersmith and it looks exactly like what I saw only well Maynooth isn't Asia?
    I keep seeing unusual birds around Maynooth and at this stage I think that I maybe cracking up:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Goldfinch :)

I saw thread title and though it was posted in wrong section :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Definitely not a goldfinch.
    Not a woodpecker either.
    It is driving me mad!!
    Though I did find a woodpecker that vaguely resembled it.

My 1st thought was that the next door neighbors love birds had escaped due to how pretty they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Birdwatch Kildare branch has monthly meetings and outings now - free to members/non-members alike. http://www.birdwatchkildare.com/. Lots of experts and beginners, worth dropping along if you want to get to know the local birdlife.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Our garden is always full of birds due to my neighbour leaving loads of food out and having an aviary and the few fat balls that we put out:)

I am convinced Maynooth gets migrating birds or my imagination is better then I think:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Looking at the colouring of the Coppersmith Barbet, I would suspect that OP is probably seeing a Linnet or Redpoll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

what kind of feeder were they on? Wire or port holes? What was in the feeder?

Advertisement