Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memory enhancement meds?????????

Options
  • 12-01-2012 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys
    Just lookin for ppl's opinion on this situation.
    2 years ago had a right temporal lobe lobotamy.
    No fits since, but retention has decreassed by 40%.
    Is it unethical for the purposes of exams to take memory enhancement meds i.e. Vinpocetine, Eldepryl to ensurer progression.

All opinions welcome
    RA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't know those drugs. However, if one uses them for the exam, does that mean one should use them for work afterwards and are there side-effects from long-term use.

It would be useful to discuss this with your medics and your college (I presume). Most colleges make reasonable allowances for people with difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Talk with your doctor.
    I dont think its unethical to use drugs where there is a clear impairment through accident or medical neccesity. IF you had not had any brain problems using such drugs may be seen as unethical but they are only enhanching what you have got (if they actually work) . IS using lots of coffee unethical?
    Exercise daily is probably very helpfull for memory and neural plasticity .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jjammemd

Honestly, I have used eldepryl and have some serious side effects. It was going well for about 2 weeks. I did notice a slight effect in concentration. After awhile I did start throwing up after 40-50mins of usage. I'm not sure what the cause of this was. I'm thinking my body was rejecting a substance in this after a build up of time and usage of this. Please be careful of it and take in moderation. Well to say the least, a student here at University of Houston has turned me to a product he was using called piracetam. Luckily the guy was nice and he shared it with me for the first week. It actually helped me retain more knowledge than usual during intense study sessions. I have used adderall as well but it seems to make me feel cracked out after a period of short term usage. So far piracetam has actually assisted me in studying and I have not experienced any negative effects even in higher dosage. It's hard to find in local pharmacies though.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭flossie

Have you tried fish oils? In my final year of college I started taking high strength fish oils every day. After a while I found my memory retention had improved by around 30%, I was calmer, could concentrate more etc. Added bonus was that hair and skin also improved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

i had a temporal-lobe-ectomy and hippocampectomy too, my memory is really bad also.
    It got a little bit better when I came off other seizure meds, maybe you should ask your neuro can you reduce your meds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 ZenPit

Hey Jjam could you tell me more about Piracetam, and it's effects??

I'm very interested in this, and am curious if it would help me study and do a little better in my college courses. I've read a bit about it but haven't gotten the chance to find someone who has first hand experience with it, so I'm glad I checked this lol.

Well there is a lot I have read about piracetam and the racetam family. There are many positive effect from it to say the least. It has provided me mental focus and increase in my cognitive functions. Even with online scrabble lol :D(I know this could be the least of your concerns). Well if you do want more information on it you can always google it or Wiki piracetam the info. A much more instructive site would be smartdrugsforthought research page.

B complex is also another way to go, for it is synergistic with any of the racetams. I've tried all and I have found piracetam to be the safest of them all. I would actually go to the nearest pharmacy to find a good source of b-complex with energy. This is actually a positive way to stimulate your self mentally. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ZenPit

Thanks! I'm looking at the Smart Drugs For Thought research page, and reading on it's benefits now. I really appreciate your help, if there was a thanks button I'd press it for you hahaha.

Well I take B-200 complex already, I'm sure that'll work just fine.

And wow it seems there's a lot that this Piracetam might be able to help me with. My memory, anxiety, and stimulates ATP (I've been taking mostly creatine to get this to happen, now I have something else to stack with it). I am going to go ahead and order a bottle, and I'll post again after I receive it and test it.

:)

Anytime, sorry for getting back with you so late. Yeah B-complex is a great multi-supplement to take for energy, but it just depends on the brand. Some brands contain more b5, b12, and choline bitartrate more than others. Usually the brands in vitamin shoppe are more efficient than wal-mart or stores similar to that. Well I haven't got around to the research page too much, I'll have to check that out. Yeah they also have Neuro-Boost on ebay for a decent price. They seem to be back in stock at the time being.

Advertisement