Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog backpack

Options
  • 12-01-2012 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any experience/advice with these?

dog-backpack-german-shepherd.jpg

I'd like to get one at some stage. What age is best to start? How to get them used to it?

I have a German Shepherd X, he's 6 months and getting bigger and stronger everyday! He's very muscly as it is lol. I'm presuming 6 months is much too young to start using a backpack though, wait until he's fully developed etc... I really have no idea.

Any general advice or help much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I'd say you're right about not loading a backpack until he's physically mature but I'd see no harm in getting him used to an empty one now. Some dogs don't care at all about having a coat or pack on but some shut down so need slow training, you won't know which your lad is until you give it a go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭boodee

hi,
    I started my previous german shepherd at a year old with the bag empty. Then he carried my water when walking. Sadly he's no longer with us.

I now have another GSD, he's 20months. I have him sniffing the bag, getting used to the fabric ans sniffing treats out of the pockets. He seems to like it and it'll give him a 'job' which he loves.

GSDs are intelligent work dogs and liked to have something to stimulate the brain and body.

I am hoping to eventually have him pull a small cart as I am aiming towards him being a helpful dog around the yard/garden. My father thought a sheepdog to pull a cart and he loved it..the dog that is:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I got one last year for my guy from PetSmart - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056185168
    It was cheap and does the job - I really only wanted it to carry his long line for training in the park and wanted to try it on him as he was kind of between sizes at the time. I left it one him on day with my phone in one side to track him with gps and he ran around like a maniac and it stayed in place. - I wanted to see what distance he made running around as we were doing a set distance everyday to build up his leg - he made up 1km - funny pic attached. :pac:
    If I was doing hiking etc with it I'd probably upgrade to one with more padding for him.

You could maybe start off with a basic one as he's so young and still growing and then after using it for a while decide what you want in the pack - eg do you want to be able to detach the packs and leave a harness, clip stuff to it, have compression packs, have water bladders etc etc. Take a look at Ruff Wear, Outward Hound, Wolf Packs etc
    Countryhounds.ie do an entry level one by Outward hound. I got a harness from them last year and wasn't sure if the fit was right - they sent me the next size up free of charge so I could compare the two and then send back the one that didn't suit! :)

Edit - forgot to say - when I put it on him at first he was a bit unsure but after a few trips out with it on he knew he was going to the park so didn't mind it :)

Advertisement