Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to do BSc (Hons) Computing Science part time.

Options
  • 12-01-2012 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hi everyone
    Just looking for a bit of feed back on this course from students,faculty,etc.

I have a engineering degree from DIT and work for retail integration but looking to do this part time.

Whats it like to do?
    Is it balanced theory/practical or leaning on theory?
    Can you pay fees in parts?
    And just general info/feedback from course.

Don't mind maths, find computers interesting and currently working in IT

http://gcd.ie/bsch/

Thank you everyone who responds I really appreciate it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Wolf07 wrote: »
    Hi everyone
    Just looking for a bit of feed back on this course from students,faculty,etc.

I have a engineering degree from DIT and work for retail integration but looking to do this part time.

Whats it like to do?
    Is it balanced theory/practical or leaning on theory?
    Can you pay fees in parts?
    And just general info/feedback from course.

Don't mind maths, find computers interesting and currently working in IT

http://gcd.ie/bsch/

Thank you everyone who responds I really appreciate it.

Probably bringing this off topic, but thought I'd ask anyway.

If you're currently working in IT why not consider doing a Masters Conversion course, it will take less time, may be cheaper and would look as well on a CV if not better than a degree. Just thought I'd ask to see if you had explored it as an option?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I do the same course full time. It's mostly theoretical (in first year at least), though we've one class in Computer Hardware where we build small circuits using breadboards and things like that . The maths is fairly straightforward. The programming language you start off with is Java.

It's a lot of fun. I enjoy it. There's a lot of different areas in computing science and they cover as much as they can fairly well. My only complaint would be that it can be paced quite slowly at times, though that might only be applicable to first year.

Regarding payment by installments, I'm sure you could work something out with the college.

I'd just be curious as to why you'd choose to do another degree rather than a postgrad diploma or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

I transferred into 3rd year of the degree due to prior experience (and still had exemptions). I had done some college back in the early 90s and found it far more practical but I think that could be said for most courses these days.

You should really talk to the faculty first and see what they would recommend, there is an IT diploma designed for people coming from non-IT backgrounds with an existing degree. This was what I was originally looking at but they felt I would find it too easy so suggested the degree instead - which wasn't that hard either tbh - but it all depends if you put the work in or not I guess.

AFAIK you can pay fees in installments - I remember someone on my course doing this - but again I think you'd need to discuss this with the college.

I deferred 4th year for various reasons and hope to go back next year. Definitely enjoyed the experience so far.

HTH

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Wolf07

Just to explain a little more, I did engineering in college but found the actual programming side of it was what I was really interested in.

why do another undergraduate degree rather than a post grad.
    well I'm 21 and want to just learn from the start. from the hardware to the software theory to practical. I've worked hard got a good job and now thought I can finally do a college course I'm interested in. not to say engineering is not interesting but at the time my folks kinda pushed me in that direction and I stuck it out.I don't know if you guys would understand what I mean or not.

thank you very much for the replies.sounds great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Wolf07 wrote: »
    Just to explain a little more, I did engineering in college but found the actual programming side of it was what I was really interested in.

why do another undergraduate degree rather than a post grad.
    well I'm 21 and want to just learn from the start. from the hardware to the software theory to practical. I've worked hard got a good job and now thought I can finally do a college course I'm interested in. not to say engineering is not interesting but at the time my folks kinda pushed me in that direction and I stuck it out.I don't know if you guys would understand what I mean or not.

thank you very much for the replies.sounds great

Fair play to you Wolf07, you're young and best of luck to you, you have a great attitutude. It's great that you're willing to learn from the start, I don't have any experience of Griffith College, but if I was to offer one suggestion I would say that you should try and build on what you have learned from your enginering course and think deeply about what kind of career you would like for the future. Blanchardstown IT run a Masters Degree in Data Analytics that is well regarded and will help you develop skills in an area where there is huge demand for expertise. And in answer to your question I know exactly what you mean. Very best of luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement