Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheap car service waterford city

Options
  • 12-01-2012 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

hi guys ,just wondering where would be the best place to get a decent service thats relatively cheap i have a 06 ford focus , thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

i got mine done by this place.... unit 1 Waterford Business Park, Cork Rd., Waterford,,,
    a few months ago for 80 euro and they do a good job aswell

i think his name is steven bargett

A & S Waterford

Unit 1 Waterford Bus Pk Cork rd Waterford Co. Waterford

Phone: +353 (051)336036

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

phelo2121 wrote: »
    hi guys ,just wondering where would be the best place to get a decent service thats relatively cheap i have a 06 ford focus , thanks.

Brother got his car done over at a new enough place by the nct centre, parts repo I think it's called

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Nypd wrote: »

Brother got his car done over at a new enough place by the nct centre, parts repo I think it's called

Parts depot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭phelo2121

That's great guys thanks very
    much for info!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Spadzy

Car clinic in witches lane on the cork road are very good and good prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I was wondering if anyone could recommend an independant who is good with VW's?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

michellie wrote: »
    Nypd wrote: »

Parts depot :)

Depot it is lol dam predictive text :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

hardybuck wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone could recommend an independant who is good with VW's?
    Yerp. James mylett is great. I can pm his number if you want. Excellent work. Sorted my twins golf a year or two ago and didn't charge mental prices. Funny fella aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Derek Carey Motors.
    Thomas st,up near junction with the glen.Great service and reasonable rate's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

I got a timing belt and full service and something else (possibly brake pads) for about €140 (he supplied all the equipment) from a chap in Portlaw.

I think it's about €80 for a full service from him. PM me if you want his name/number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Premier

Can anyone here or if theres any mechanics on the forum please describe what a (Full service) is? as im at the opinion now that cars and vans could not be getting the full monty for 80-100 quid,

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

Premier wrote: »
    Can anyone here or if theres any mechanics on the forum please describe what a (Full service) is? as im at the opinion now that cars and vans could not be getting the full monty for 80-100 quid,

I would consider a full service to be oil & filter, spark plugs and air filter. Depending on what is being serviced this should probably include checking/replacing the pollen filter but it rarely does. I would hazard a guess that quite a few "full services" would not include the spark plugs either.

The only way to be sure really is to ask what exactly it includes before you get them to do any work. You can buy oil/filter and air filter for €40-€50 for an average car and it would take 30 minutes tops to do that much once you have the right tools so even at €30 profit per service it's still pretty decent money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Wan tew

If you don't get the car on a lift or over a pit you can't properly check bushings, exhaust brackets etc.
    Changing the oil is not a service.

Wan tew wrote: »
    If you don't get the car on a lift or over a pit you can't properly check bushings, exhaust brackets etc.
    Changing the oil is not a service.

well you are talking about an inspection really...yes a main dealer would include these in a ridiculously overpriced service but if you go to a normal garage they probably won't be included in the €80/€100 deal the OP was asking about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Wan tew

Yeah, the OP asked about a service not just an oil change. I wouldn`t bring my car to a main dealer under any circumstances. There are enough qualified independant mechanics providing a good service for half the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭eolasguy

Anyone know of a good cheap car service that is going at the moment in Waterford City?
    Looking for a full service (oil, filter, spark plugs and air filter) and investigation into a problem I am having with the car for under €100 (Hopefully).

Also this is my first car and first service. Any gotchas or dopes I should watch out for?

Any tips are helpful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

This place at Blakes Lane is now reopened under new management, I would give them a try. Got their leaflet in my doors few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Self Service autos 100 euro service seems to cover what youre looking for
    http://www.selfserviceauto.ie/service-repairs.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

eolasguy wrote: »
    Anyone know of a good cheap car service that is going at the moment in Waterford City?
    Looking for a full service (oil, filter, spark plugs and air filter) and investigation into a problem I am having with the car for under €100 (Hopefully).

Also this is my first car and first service. Any gotchas or dopes I should watch out for?

Make sure you know exactly what work will be done and what quality of parts and consumables they are going to use on your car.

Fill your washer bottle before you take it in, and leave instructions that they are not to change wiper blades, oil hinges etc. or do any work which you don't expressly authorise.

SSE

eolasguy wrote: »

What car is it? If I was you (and I was a few years ago) I'd learn how to do it yourself.

I'm assuming seeing as it's your first car, it's a reasonably small car. Generally, €50-€60 will cover the parts.(I'll recommend you a motor factors if you like) If you go buy the parts, give me €20 and I'll help you do a service and show you exactly what to do so you can do it yourself next time. It will save you a fortune in the long run.

If you are interested in learning I have no problem helping out in return for a few quid, it really isn't that difficult. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Self servicing really isnt that difficult, but DONT disconnect all your spark plug leads at once, they go back in in a specific order and if they dont go back in the way they came out your banjo'd, Make sure your oil filter will move before you drop all the oil out of the car, no point in letting all the oil drain out and your then stuck under your car trying to get an oil filter off thats BET on happened to me not so long ago, had to put fresh oil back in and use the same old dirty filter,

The only problem with this is that other problems may not be detected by a novice whos learning to drive and about cars in general and a simple mistake could have drastic results.

I would call a full service an oil and oil filter change a spark plug change and air filter change although as said previously not all garages call a full service this, ie VW Main dealer They wanted mad money off me for a FULL service and a diagnostics check thing they wanted over 250 euro absolutely mad money, It might take you a very long time to find a mechanic you can trust. but if you get a mechanic to service your car try and stick to them

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

Just a heads up lads, I hope it's OK to post here if not admins take it off. Went to parts Depot this morning to get a small thing checked which was fine however I was told I'd need to get a new clutch pretty soon which would cost €300, I smelt a rat so ended up going to pj O Shea this evening and informed him what I was told once he heard this he wanted to drive and check car, surprise surprise absolutely nothing wrong with it, he's had numerous people who went there and advance Pitstop and fastfit who were ripped off too, so just be aware, I could have been out of pocket for something that was perfectly fine

• Registered Users Posts: 29,006 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

er1983 wrote: »
    Just a heads up lads, I hope it's OK to post here if not admins take it off. Went to parts Depot this morning to get a small thing checked which was fine however I was told I'd need to get a new clutch pretty soon which would cost €300, I smelt a rat so ended up going to pj O Shea this evening and informed him what I was told once he heard this he wanted to drive and check car, surprise surprise absolutely nothing wrong with it, he's had numerous people who went there and advance Pitstop and fastfit who were ripped off too, so just be aware, I could have been out of pocket for something that was perfectly fine

not surprised. was warned by mechanics to avoid

• Registered Users Posts: 1 341682l

Hi I am looking for good cheap garage to do full service that checks everything on my car for around 80 euro. Would anyone know any garage in waterford city pls. Need to get my car done as soon as possible.

Sorry to bump an old thread but does anyone know of a cheap mechanic in Waterford that can do a service for the NCT?

Sorry to bump an old thread but does anyone know of a cheap mechanic in Waterford that can do a service for the NCT?

Is there actually something wrong with the car? Do you think it would pass as is?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Is there actually something wrong with the car? Do you think it would pass as is?

The car passed last year but and is in good condition but the check engine light is on, I brought it to the garage about the light and it went off but it came back on again. The car has 4 good wheels, good brakes etc..... Just needs a service and to sort out the light.

The car passed last year but and is in good condition but the check engine light is on, I brought it to the garage about the light and it went off but it came back on again. The car has 4 good wheels, good brakes etc..... Just needs a service and to sort out the light.

It might actually pass as is, mine passed last couple of times with engine management and service lights on. The garage may have just cancelled the errors via diagnostics, I've done this before, with same results as you, I.e. lights came back on almost immediately. Been told I've some faulty sensors but we 're unsure which ones, mechanic needs more time with car.

Advertisement