Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MK6 Gti Hard Suspension ?

Options
  • 12-01-2012 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭

I bought a Golf MK6 Gti last September and the suspension setup is extremely hard. Previous to the MK6 I had a MK5 for 5 years before, and the suspension on that was fine, still obviously sporty but pretty compliant. I still drive the old car from time to time and the difference is marked…

Has anybody else noticed this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

heard the same...know someone who considered one but shy'd off purely on the hard suspension

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭✭heate

Didn't VW make a point of using a less sophisticated suspension set-up to the MKV to reduce production costs and RRP's to maintain sales? That may be the issue! It was rumored that this is going to be the shortest lived golf production i.e c. 5 years?
    You test drove it before you bought I assume not for long enough to notice the harder suspension?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

I did give it a test drive, all of 5 minutes and on pretty smooth roads around the garage. To be honest I had the car bought in my head when i seen it...

Anyway I read somewhere that on UK Mk6 Gti you could select the suspension settings (Normal, Comfort, and sport)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Is there bigger wheels?

Also, they put chocks in the suspension for transport, should be removed when it's pdi'd but you never know...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I went from a MK5 GTI to a MK6 GTD and I can't say I've noticed this problem... if anything, I think the MK6 is more comfortable! Although maybe the diesel GTD is more compliant than the GTI?!

Are there differences in the wheels? i.e. did you have 18's on both cars? Obviously this will make a difference.

VW also have a system (pricey factory optional extra, so no good to you now), where you can alter the suspension settings from "comfort" to "sport".

• Advertisement

heate wrote: »
    Didn't VW make a point of using a less sophisticated suspension set-up to the MKV to reduce production costs and RRP's to maintain sales? That may be the issue!

No. The suspension setup (independent rear) is exactly the same. I think they did do this for the USA market.

EPM wrote: »
    Is there bigger wheels?

Also, they put chocks in the suspension for transport, should be removed when it's pdi'd but you never know...

No just the standard 17" Denver, same as on my old MK5...

I might drop up to the local VW garage and ask the question about the chocks, sure it will probably only cost a pile...

MisterDrak wrote: »
    No just the standard 17" Denver, same as on my old MK5...

I might drop up to the local VW garage and ask the question about the chocks, sure it will probably only cost a pile...

It would be fairly obvious if they were there. The car would look like it's up on stilts! But ya never know... take a look under the wheel arches, see do you see any big chunks of foam stuck between the springs.

Also worth checking the tyre pressures. Maybe they're over inflated? I think they should be around the 34/35 psi mark.

On 17's it really shouldn't be that bad. Both my GTI and my GTD are on 18's and maybe its a case of what I'm used to, but I've never found it uncomfortable and I rather like the firmness and feedback from the road! A couple of friends of mine have driven my new car and they all commented that it felt less harsh than the GTI.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I went from a MK5 GTI to a MK6 GTD and I can't say I've noticed this problem... if anything, I think the MK6 is more comfortable! Although maybe the diesel GTD is more compliant than the GTI?!

Are there differences in the wheels? i.e. did you have 18's on both cars? Obviously this will make a difference.

VW also have a system (pricey factory optional extra, so no good to you now), where you can alter the suspension settings from "comfort" to "sport".

Thats interesting, and i would have thought that the Mk6 would be the softer ride also, but not so, its got to the point now where i dont want to drive the car on anything other that motorway... As in other post I have 17"s on both cars.

I suspect that your last comment may be the root cause. The car was speced up in the garage for a boy racer, and not for an old lad like me...

MisterDrak wrote: »
    I suspect that your last comment may be the root cause. The car was speced up in the garage for a boy racer, and not for an old lad like me...

The "AAC" option, to allow you switch between comfort/sport costs in or around €1000 spec'ed on a new car from the factory. So needless to say, not many irish GTI/GTD's are spec'd with it. I certainly didn't bother.

• Advertisement
Advertisement