Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice sought in regards payment

Options
  • 12-01-2012 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I was writing on a freelance basis for an international publication (with a branch and office based in Dublin.) They've owed me E300 for 3 months now and any time I contact them about it I'm given a vague date and brushed off, the last reply said they'll sort it out in a couple of weeks.

I know it's not a lot of money but I'm a student and have rent to pay, I've contacted the FLAC in my college but they'll be a while getting back to me as we're still on holidays. I know the small claims court is not open to me and a solicitor for such a small amount is pointless.

Could anyone please advise on where to go from here? I have invoices. an agreement to pay and a full papertrail of all communication between myself and this company

'Ham

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

Have you issued an invoice? Have you advised them that you will be seeking interest pursuant to SI 388 (2002)? Have you called around personally?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

I have issued an invoice and I've offered to call around to the office to collect it personally but was told they do not keep cash on site (Not really sure how to respond to that)

In regards to SI 388 (2002) could you please tell me more? I have no background in law and I'm out of my depth here

ok so after a quick google I can basically charge a E40 late fee as it's under E1000?

How can I go about doing this?

I have issued an invoice and I've offered to call around to the office to collect it personally but was told they do not keep cash on site (Not really sure how to respond to that)

In regards to SI 388 (2002) could you please tell me more? I have no background in law and I'm out of my depth here

Tell them you will accept a cheque or bank draft.

ok so after a quick google I can basically charge a E40 late fee as it's under E1000?

How can I go about doing this?

Send another invoice and also add the interest.

• Advertisement

Should I take the date of the 1st invoice sent as the agreed date of payment? There was never an exact date agreed, it just went from by Monday, to in a few days, to in a few weeks --> fastforward to present.

Thanks for the advice btw

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Should I take the date of the 1st invoice sent as the agreed date of payment? There was never an exact date agreed, ...
    If none was agreed then how can it be judged late by anyone let alone a court?

Your invoice needs to state "Payment due within XX days of Invoice [or on Presentation or whatever suits you]. Late payments will incur a penalty or surcharge." or somesuch wording.

In future it might be a good idea on receiving a commission to write a letter thanking your employer and detailing your terms. Invite them to write back if your terms pose a problem for them and also ask them for a contact name in their Accounts Payable dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jblack

mathepac wrote: »
    If none was agreed then how can it be judged late by anyone let alone a court?

Your invoice needs to state "Payment due within XX days of Invoice [or on Presentation or whatever suits you]. Late payments will incur a penalty or surcharge." or somesuch wording.

In future it might be a good idea on receiving a commission to write a letter thanking your employer and detailing your terms. Invite them to write back if your terms pose a problem for them and also ask them for a contact name in their Accounts Payable dept.

In the absence of a specific date Courts will generally infer 30 days from the date the invoice was raised.

Advertisement