Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

One armed driving

Options
  • 12-01-2012 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

I dont know if this is the right place so mods feel free to move it if you need to,

My question is, is there any law against driving with 1 useable arm in a normal manual car, i've dislocated my left shoulder during the week and am in a sling and wondering would i void my insurance or break any laws and be done for something like wreckless driving if i drive with just 1 arm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

ormondprop wrote: »
    I dont know if this is the right place so mods feel free to move it if you need to,

My question is, is there any law against driving with 1 useable arm in a normal manual car, i've dislocated my left shoulder during the week and am in a sling and wondering would i void my insurance or break any laws and be done for something like wreckless driving if i drive with just 1 arm

How would that work when you need to change gear assuming it's a manual car? If it is I'd say it's pretty dangerous to only have one arm in which you are controlling the car even though many people only drive with one anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Speak to your doctor and get a fit to drive cert off him (he won't give it) and speak to your insurer. In the long and short of it No and speak to the professionals not a bunch of people you found on the tinterweb

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭WestWing

How can you drive and hold your mobile phone with one arm? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Regardless of whether it's legal - is it not too painful anyway?

I dislocated my Elbow earlier this year and drove the day I got the cast off. Got an Auto so didn't need to use my left arm, but it was still agony getting in and out of the car. Had to put it in to D with my right arm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Out of habit I have my left hand the gearstick and elbow on the armrest almost 99% of the time, but I wouldn't drive if I couldn't use my left arm, even in an auto. I'd ask the doc, but chances are the answer will be no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

I was just curious to see did anybody know the ins and outs of it from they're previous experiences as i wont be seeing my doctor for a week, i did a bit of driving around our farm roadway and managed ok changing gears and using the indicators with my right arm, the only thing that was awkward was the handbrake so hill starts would be tricky, i'm not planning on driving much, just due to the fact that i live in the middle of nowhere was wondering would i be breaking any laws by tipping down the road to a shop and small spins like that

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

Your insurance will NOT cover you.

I was on crutches with soft tissue damage in me leg and i was warned not to drive as no way would insurance cover you if you need crutches to walk!

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

I was on crutches with soft tissue damage in me leg and i was warned not to drive as no way would insurance cover you if you need crutches to walk!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Insurers would pretty much use anything to get out of a claim. I'd imagine a "dislocated shoulder" at the time of the accident would be all the proof a judge would need to rule against you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭✭heate

focus_mad wrote: »

I'd only one way around that automatic car and a broken left leg! Left leg is totally useless unless you're driving a Merc with one of those foot operated handbrakes - and even at that I've never really used my handbrake.

• Advertisement
Advertisement