Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stems and roots in Irish - help!

Options
  • 12-01-2012 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi everyone, I am learning Irish at the moment, but I cannot seem to work out how the stems and roots of words change depending on how you want to use them in sentences, for example

success
    successful
    successfully

educate
    education
    educational

Does anyone know of a system in the Irish language, that I can learn that will solve this problem?

thanks for your help!

Starr27

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 brianeanna

There are no guides that I know of (but there aren't any for English either).

Irish morphology does have a system, but it's a shade more complicated.

So, for instance, you can sometimes make verbs from nouns by adding -áil.

You can make sometimes make adjectives from nouns by adding -ach.

You can sometimes make adverbs from adjectives by prefixing with "go".

Why not buy the big Ó Dónaill dictionary and look at how certain words can have different forms? I'm randomly opening mine and finding, for example:

marthain
    marthanach
    marthanacht
    marthanaí
    marthanas
    marthanóir

Lots to go on just there!

-B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

There are prefixes that are incorporated into words such as - fo (under), neamh (un-), comh (with, joint, common etc), droch (bad), sean (old), lamh (with a fada on the 'a') (hand), fior (with a fada on the 'i') (true, pure, real), dea- (good), ath- (re-), taobh (side), oll (great, super), mion (small, minor), mi (with a fada on the 'i') (bad, ill-), mean (with a fada on the 'a') (medium, middle) and so on - srl - which gives you some idea of how words are put together in Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭deirdremf

I replied to this question on another thread recently:
    deirdremf wrote: »
    Ta liostai i gCaibidil 24 de Ghraiméar Gaeilge na mBráithre Críostaí

http://ec.europa.eu/translation/irish/documents/christian_brothers_comprehensive_irish_grammar_ga.pdf

Ádh mór

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Starr27

Thanks everyone!

Advertisement