Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squash Help

Options
  • 12-01-2012 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hi

I have only played 3 games now but I am getting used to judging the bounce of the ball and how to use the side wall, how to grip the racket etc, I have read up on how to play and read some tip on best to play, in most of the tips it says the most important thing is to take over the T area, so with this is it better to get to the T at all times even if u are in front of the other player when he is taking his shout, this means u can not see the other player and it can be hard to know were he is going to hit the ball.

I was using a old racket my dad gave me that is from the 80’s (a wooden dunlop one) and then when reading up I seen that the rackets now a day are much bigger so I rent one last night when I played and it made a big difference, so does anyone know were I could pick up a good racket price range would be from €50 to €80 max, any types and brand names would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

How much for a rally good top notch racket? and what to look out for? size, weight, and is it strenght of frame? or string tightness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

Just saw one for 499.00 euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sahs1

Hi Looking to start up playing squash. Loved it in school and wanna play again. Have use of Gormanston college courts? I Would be a bit crap and rusty but would soon bounce back....scuse the pun!!!

Anyone around to start up a club????

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

I have a good one for sale for €50. I'm in Athlone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭dizzyg

What I said here still applies if you're in Dublin..
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75494544&postcount=2

Dunlop, Wilson, Prince, Tecnifibre and Head seem to be the most common brands at the moment in our club.

Weight-wise, I play with a head-light 130g Dunlop ProGTXBlahBlahBlah which suits my game. If you're struggling with power you might want to get a racket with the weight in the head. Keep to less than 150g.

They're normally strung to around 24lbs, but if you're a beginner, I don't really think you need to be overly concerned with tensions.

A teardrop shape such as a Tecnifibre or a Prince might give you more power, compared to something such as my Dunlop.

Obviously the best way to pick a racket, is to try a few and see what you like. If you see anyone coming off court, ask for a knock-up for 2 mins. Most players wouldn't mind. Somewhere like Fitzwilliam will let you buy two, try them, and refund you for the one you don't keep.

To be honest though, if you're a beginner, you'd be better off buying a racket for 50quid and buy a few lessons with the rest of the budget to get your technique correct from the start. You can always upgrade in a year or two when your game progresses.

@abceire - 499.00 euro??? Where?!?!
    @Delboy007 - dude, ditch the wooden racket!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Merrion1968

sahs1 wrote: »
    Hi Looking to start up playing squash. Loved it in school and wanna play again. Have use of Gormanston college courts? I Would be a bit crap and rusty but would soon bounce back....scuse the pun!!!

Anyone around to start up a club????

Hi Sahs, I'm a squash beginner and have played it several times, love it. I've just moved into the area. I would be interested if you wanted to play a few games once a week in Gormanston courts...or set up a club..

Hi Merrion...thanks for your response n what a coincidence! Was playing tonite at Gormo....by myself!! I will be there at 6pm on Mondays...I run first n then play...would be gr8 2 get a club started..if u r interested in meeting up next Mon for a few games would be delighted :) Sarah

Hi Sarah, Monday would be great. If you go running at 6 then perhaps meet after at 6.30? 7? And where is best to meet for you?

Hi

6:30 would be gr8...will just warm up n run for 30mins and we can play for 30mins for first time...Will be at reception in sports complex Gormanston College for 6:30pm otherwise you will see me running around the grounds/track!!! Sarah :) Look forward to meeting you...we can talk about hopefully getting a club going...:)?:)

• Advertisement

OK Sarah I'll see you at around 6.30 at the reception area

Advertisement