Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haircut

Options
  • 12-01-2012 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭

Is there some kind of barber cartel in this town?

Cork average price is about 10E - here it seems to be 15E, which is crazy for 10 minutes work

Where is the best cheapest place to go?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Ali's (I think) at the top of Thomas street is 10yoyo for a standard cut Monday(?) to Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

There is one opposite St Joseph's Hospital on Mulgrave street that charges €10 anytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Go to the lads beside the Woking in Caherdavin. 10eu.
    Sound lads imo, used to work in town somewhere. Only by chance i found them myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Up beside the corner flag on Henry street, new barber there about 6 months, 7 euro for the cut, tidy, and takes his time :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Pat "God the Barber" Stapleton on O'Connell Street. €10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Barber Shop, Parnell St.

Dry cut...€12
    Student... €10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

i remember we had a thread on this a while back, definitely going to have a look at these places because i paid €14 for a child's haircut yesterday in figaros and €25 for myself.

now dont get me wrong, i understand a scissors cut is more expensive, and they do a fantastic job in there, but my god it's saucy! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

xsiborg wrote: »
    i remember we had a thread on this a while back, definitely going to have a look at these places because i paid €14 for a child's haircut yesterday in figaros and €25 for myself.

now dont get me wrong, i understand a scissors cut is more expensive, and they do a fantastic job in there, but my god it's saucy! :(
    They're extortionate prices for a haircut. There is a new barbers open in Caherdavin called JC's, next to the Wokking. Excellent barber and resonable prices, couldn't recommend him highly enough. €10 for student, think it's €14 for an adult, presume a child would be around the €10 mark, not too sure though. Free parking too which is great because I have often went to town for a haircut and it has cost me €5 for parking in Harveys Quay :mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

I'm paying E16 in johnny's in castletroy who had a loyalty card going up until recently where your got every 5th or 6th cut free. Meant your cut was a bit cheaper if you came back. This is now gone so I'd imagine I will go too. What's the cheapest out there on that side of town?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Blades Barber Shop. Thomas Street

€10 dry cut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

They're extortionate prices for a haircut. There is a new barbers open in Caherdavin called JC's, next to the Wokking. Excellent barber and resonable prices, couldn't recommend him highly enough. €10 for student, think it's €14 for an adult, presume a child would be around the €10 mark, not too sure though. Free parking too which is great because I have often went to town for a haircut and it has cost me €5 for parking in Harveys Quay :mad:.

€14 is not a reasonable price IMHO. I saw a barber in Cork a few days ago advertising at €6. Limerick is on average 50% more expensive than Cork for this stuff.

And in an industry that is rife with tax evasion

Why do people put up with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭cottager83

crocs on ????? road, at traffic lights before overpass on the right hand side on way out to cresent...10 quid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

i got mine done in johnnys there at lunch 10 yo yo...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

cottager83 wrote: »
    crocs on ????? road, at traffic lights before overpass on the right hand side on way out to cresent...10 quid

Ballinacurra Road.

The €10 price is for a dry cut or a wash and cut.

Pat "God the Barber" Stapleton on O'Connell Street. €10.

Not had one from him in some time, but he used to do an awesome hot towel and shave.

Some places in town charge a premium price for a hot towel and shave, but Pat always was top notch at it for a far lower price. Plus once you get on with him or his wife you get great chats whilst there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

I get mine for free.

Cost me around 20,000 one off payment to marry her though!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

i got mine done in johnnys there at lunch 10 yo yo...

What did you get done for that there? Shave on the sides and sissors on top cost me E16 in the last few days. Its a good cut but still expensive imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

What did you get done for that there? Shave on the sides and sissors on top cost me E16 in the last few days. Its a good cut but still expensive imo

ah you see....you have hair...there is the difference...mine was a 30 second rub of the 1 blade and a splash of some smelly stuff...job done...

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

New place in greenpark by punches cross €17, too much for a bog standard haircut in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Johnny's, Castletroy 10e

• Advertisement

D1stant wrote: »
    €14 is not a reasonable price IMHO. I saw a barber in Cork a few days ago advertising at €6. Limerick is on average 50% more expensive than Cork for this stuff.

And in an industry that is rife with tax evasion

Why do people put up with it?

I think €14 is reasonable for a good haircut, there are plenty of places around where you can get your hair cut for 8, 9 and 10 euro and they do a terrible job on your hair, so to be honest, I would rather pay the extra few euro for a decent haircut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Max's Barbers in Castletroy is €12 for a student and you get every 7th free.

Also looking at an ad here for the Brazen Head on John St, gents dry trim for a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

I think €14 is reasonable for a good haircut, there are plenty of places around where you can get your hair cut for 8, 9 and 10 euro and they do a terrible job on your hair, so to be honest, I would rather pay the extra few euro for a decent haircut.

Thats fair enough. And everyone has a different product:value equation. But no one has addressed the question as to why Limerick is on average so expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Thats fair enough. And everyone has a different product:value equation. But no one has addressed the question as to why Limerick is on average so expensive

In fairness, most people have quoted prices from my own quote of 7 euro, to 8, to a good few 10 euro, which in fairness some of them beat Cork prices.

Because us eejits are willing to pay it, it's the same with nightclubs in Limerick and probably everywhere else in Ireland, on average, you will pay €12-15 to get in, when people are willing to pay that price, there is no need to drop their prices, it wouldn't make any sense for them to do so.

Because us eejits are willing to pay it, it's the same with nightclubs in Limerick and probably everywhere else in Ireland, on average, you will pay €12-15 to get in, when people are willing to pay that price, there is no need to drop their prices, it wouldn't make any sense for them to do so.

Think that pretty much nails it. A lot of people, despite the economic climate, don't seem to be very price aware or price savvy or maybe they just don't care about an item or service being overpriced.

People will keep going back to a place even if it becomes expensive, and often the reason given would be something along the lines of "I have always gone there and it would be too much hassle to go anywhere else" even though a cheaper option might be nearby, rather than people paying esxtra because of a genuine difference in quality.

In a place as small as Limerick people have no real excuse not to vote with their feet in terms of the price they are willing to pay. For most services there is a competitor within walking distance, so people could easily let those who charge more but offer no better service/quality know that their high prices will not be considered.

Then again because the place is small it does has more of a town feel than a city feel and as such the small town mentality of using the same shop/barber/service station etc regardless may prevail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

Always felt that barbers in Limerick were a bit on the pricey side which is why I tend to get my hair cut when I go home to Galway maybe once a month. To be fair, Limerick would be a lot more competitive in the areas that count, like food and drink for example. Galway and Cork are extortionate in that sector.

Any barbers open on a Sunday in Limerick? There is a place in Galway that opens Sunday, possibly the only one in the western world that does.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sabiandale

vkid wrote: »
    Go to the lads beside the Woking in Caherdavin. 10eu.
    Sound lads imo, used to work in town somewhere. Only by chance i found them myself.

JC's. James used to work in Blades. Been going to him for years!

BESman wrote: »
    Always felt that barbers in Limerick were a bit on the pricey side which is why I tend to get my hair cut when I go home to Galway maybe once a month. To be fair, Limerick would be a lot more competitive in the areas that count, like food and drink for example. Galway and Cork are extortionate in that sector.

Any barbers open on a Sunday in Limerick? There is a place in Galway that opens Sunday, possibly the only one in the western world that does.

Razors in Thomondgate is open on Sundays between 12 and 16:00.

Stays open until 22:00 Mon to Thurs as well.

Good spot for a cut, good for shaves as well once you get over the fact there is an Arsenal supporter with a blade to your throat. :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Gillette Fusion blades and foam - €12(ish), haircuts for a year!!! Even if i had hair i wouldnt pay the money people expect for a haircut nowadays

Advertisement