Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam Paper

Options
  • 12-01-2012 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

How come we never get our exam papers back after they've been corrected?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

The university has a system of checks and balances to ensure that exams are fair and are marked fairly (external examiners, exam boards, exam appeals board, etc), so it does involve them hanging onto your exam script for a while.

during departmental consultations you may view the script from an exam to see how it was marked and to review the answers you gave, but they stuff it back in with the rest after you've had a look.

After I had a look at some of my scripts one year, it begs the question, do you really want them back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I remember hearing a rumour that the scripts are kept for a year and a day then destroyed... but I really emphasise rumour here.

I heard another rumour that they shred and pulp the old exam scripts use them to make the mashed potatoes in the canteen...... but I really emphasise rumour here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

To the best of my recollection it's one year. Actually, this has engaged my curiosity.

/asks around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Alt_Grrr wrote: »
    I heard another rumour that they shred and pulp the old exam scripts use them to make the mashed potatoes in the canteen...... but I really emphasise rumour here.
    Hilariously, the mashed spuds are probably the only halfway decent thing in the canteen, seeing as meals not involving meat apparently don't exist in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I've heard a few rumours too, too many to mention and too few are realistic.

I don't know why they would burn papers and damage the environment when they could have them sent back to the departments for student collection. Surely there is plenty of money there for it with our tuition fees and so fort.

But I doubt we will get them back, would be good if we did as I feel I wrote two kick-ass essays for my EN152B exam:D.

As long as they are marked fairly that should be reasonable enough.

They probably just shred them and send them off to be recycled I imagine.

Hilariously, the mashed spuds are probably the only halfway decent thing in the canteen, seeing as meals not involving meat apparently don't exist in there.

Meals... without meat? that's just an empty plate right?
    karaokeman wrote: »
    But I doubt we will get them back

You don't get the papers back.
    They probably just shred them and send them off to be recycled I imagine.

I think the university uses one of those secure shredding services where an industrial shredder in the back of a lorry drives up and shreds them on site. Ya know, data protection and all that

Alt_Grrr wrote: »
    I think the university uses one of those secure shredding services where an industrial shredder in the back of a lorry drives up and shreds them on site. Ya know, data protection and all that

Yep, that's I meant by shredding, makes sense.

And there are millions of meals you can eat without meat :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Most(if not all departments) re-use exam questions in future exams/assignments so it'd not be a smart to hand back exam papers in case anyone who got a first decides to distribute their answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Really? What are the vegetarian options like in the canteen? Poor?

I don't eat there. Not because of quality of food, but because I can't take 15 minutes to eat lunch without getting questions about grants / exams / parking, all while still in the queue holding a tray.

Having said that, the canteen were decent enough to sponsor hundreds of food vouchers this year. Not as soulless as you'd think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Although I bring my lunch most days, the lady I eat with always gets big huge salads in the canteen. Look lovely they do. And there was a veg option every day that I looked. Not that I'd partake of such things. Gah! Anyway, I think the food in the canteen is generally great for a college canteen, in fact it's better than plenty of cafes and pubs in my opinion. And for a way better price too. I love the place.

banquo wrote: »
    Really? What are the vegetarian options like in the canteen? Poor?

I don't eat there. Not because of quality of food, but because I can't take 15 minutes to eat lunch without getting questions about grants / exams / parking, all while still in the queue holding a tray.

Having said that, the canteen were decent enough to sponsor hundreds of food vouchers this year. Not as soulless as you'd think.

Tbh, I've only ate in there a handful of times, and I didn't notice anything veggie other than sandwiches. But if mickstupp says they have them I imagine they do, and that I just didn't see any. The canteen just tends to be a bit too packed for me around lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

They have one veggie dish per day. The only one I've had is the Thai Green Veg Curry.

Anyway, back on topic, I have no idea why you'd want your exam papers back. I had to look at my biology ones last year. You write some f**king waffle in essay based exams :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Whatever about exams, I would happily give in an extra copy of an essay in order to get it back with some feedback and tips to improve on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

can they give you your exam papers of you requested it ?

i have gotten some questionable grades especially in business and economics which i think its not right.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

can they give you your exam papers of you requested it ?

i have gotten some questionable grades especially in business and economics which i think its not right.

You can get a review of your mark and get to see it then but you don't get to keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

irish_goat wrote: »
    Most(if not all departments) re-use exam questions in future exams/assignments so it'd not be a smart to hand back exam papers in case anyone who got a first decides to distribute their answer.

But students will attempt questions from past papers anyway.

I could write a first class answer from a past question and give out digital copies but no one can be guaranteed that question will come up in an exam.

And for assignments, they would be able to tell if everyone's answer was the same.

Advertisement