Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange sitting behaviour from dog after exercise

Options
  • 12-01-2012 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Hi, i was at the park with Nushka my female Malamute earlier for our usual morning exercise, i had my hurley and ball and we met our buddies Philip and Ben (dog),

the dogs has their usual banter and i was wacking the ball and they were both chasing it and retrieving, nothing un-usual there,

after 30mins or so we parted ways and on the way back home Nushka all of a sudden just stopped and sat down immediately, i left her a few seconds and called to her so we carried on again another 100 yards or so and she did it again but i thought that it looked like she was about to start dragging her bum across the patch of grass she was walking in but just sat down straight,

she's not limping and does'nt seem to me to be injured in my eyes and also while playing she didnt get any nasty fall or anything,

when i got home i checked her legs and pads and there's no damage or cuts or anything so left her be to rest up and fed her about 10:30am, she ate all her food and after having a drink of water she just walked around abit and then sat down again immediately,

its a strange one to me, she's now asleep in her bed, wrecked and fed so any advice or help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If shes dragging her bum, its either a sign that she needs her glands emptied or she has worms, but more so the anal glands need to be emptied by your vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Hi Andrea, it seemed like she was about to start dragging her bum but didnt she just sat down immediately and did nothing else,

i only wormed her last week with a 3 month dose of Drontal plus

Well then its her Anal Glands which will need to be emptied at your vets, it sounds like a classic symtom of how the drag their bums.

Sometimes they go to start dragging and stop again so id say thats what it is.

Ah no hassle so will pop down to the vet in a bit,

would having changed her food from kibble to raw 3 days ago have had any impact of her anal glands been affected by the change over?

i've noticed that since changing to raw her poops are tiny compared to when on kibble they were like lumps of pudding :p, too much info:D

It could do. Did you change her gradually?

• Advertisement

I didnt change gradually, i fasted her for a day then went straight onto the raw diet with just chicken wings, thighs, legs and dimsticks to start off with and she's absolutely loving it,

she has been a nightmare the past few weeks with her dry food, she would go a few days without having anything and then maybe have a bowl or 2 and she's off it again,

since feeding her raw with chicken for starters she hasnt missed a fed yet

Ah right, well maybe just get them to check her glands just in case.

The raw diet is fab, i would do it if i could afford it and source it cheaply.

I'm really happy myself aswell with going onto raw for Nushka, it's nice to see her excited once again at feeding time :D,

she was on BestForMyDog @ €48 per 15kh bag per month but i said to myself that once i go raw with her that i'd give that bit extra funding towards some quality meats and veg for her,

i've a budget of €65 per month now and i'm sure once i get into it i'll get the best prices for meats and hopefully be able to reduce the bill by a few euro per month,

i went to the Chicken Inn in The English Market in Cork City and i got 30 chicken wings, 15 drumsticks and 10 chicken legs for €16.50, i could probably get them abit cheaper but for now it will do from there and for now as in a few days i'll start her on red meat and throw in some tripe, hearts and many more once i get the hang of it,

thats outside a bag of scrappy mixed meat from the butchers and a few meaty bones for the week so all in all i'm pretty pleased and Nushka is too :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

She might have been having a peaceful protest at being separated from her mate! My dog used to lay down on the road if we went for a walk that involved turning and coming back the way we came, it was a protest because she didn't want to go home. Easy enough to work out if this is what it is, just see what happens next time if you turn and head back in the direction the other dog went.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

She might have been having a peaceful protest at being separated from her mate! My dog used to lay down on the road if we went for a walk that involved turning and coming back the way we came, it was a protest because she didn't want to go home. Easy enough to work out if this is what it is, just see what happens next time if you turn and head back in the direction the other dog went.

This is a condition for which there is no known cure, I'm afraid.

It's called Westie-itis

:p:p:p:p:p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

DBB wrote: »
    It's called Westie-itis

:p:p:p:p:p

The cure for Westie-itis is carrying them home, do that a few times and they miraculously realise they'd rather enjoy the rest of their walk :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My guy would sit all of sudden when his legs were sore. But at the same time it's probably the change in food - I changed his food a few weeks ago and it took 2 weeks or so for everything to get back to normal - he had small poops like this for a few days or only 1 poop or a bit softer than normal etc and we'd get that stinky bum smell. Gross lol

Advertisement