Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got handed 1 months notice in work today

Options
  • 11-01-2012 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

So went into work today, working away as normal and was asked to come in for "a chat". 30 seconds into the conversation, i knew what was coming. Feck it lads this recession is annoying! I'm scrimping to get by week to week. So annoyed with the economy tonight!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭sidders

flucking scumbags , who do you work for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

dont let it get ye down dude , you shall have a few months of furious activity sending out emails and **** going to interviews with hundreds of people in the que , then you just accept unemployment , its not bad actually , like how often do you hear of people starving to death in ireland these days ,
    this is what happened me , all my friends told me this and i didnt believe them ,stay positive dont get depressed and think of the advantages, you can get up in the morning and go the park with the kids every day ,
    you will soon realise buying them stuff doesnt make them happier than spending every day with them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Jesus, thats awful! Where do you work?

Do you know of anyone else who has been laid off?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Tough break man. Happened to me last October. I've spent most my time in the gym since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

So sorry to hear that this has happened to you. It certainly puts things into perspective, I am worried about wage cuts (public sector) but not at risk of losing my job.

I really hope you get something soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

sidders wrote: »
    flucking scumbags , who do you work for
    His employers are scumbags because they made him redundant?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭iamthe43

Sorry to hear about your job.

Do heed the advice here too. Keep the head up, apply for anything and everything, and when you eventually get fed up of it and realise that there is nothing in Ireland for unemployed people, you will hopefull be able to move abroad.

I lost my job in March 2009. Was continiously out of work until December 2010. Depressed is an understatement.

Now i'm living abroad, working full time, and I have no intention whatsoever of returning to Ireland.

My advice to you...Get out of the country while you still have them money, will and 'head', otherwise you will unfortunately join the rest of the unemployed people in Ireland who have been forgotten by society.

Dont get me wrong; You will be on the list; You will be another statistic; The Gvernment will be aware that you exist and that you are out of work. What they wont realise is how difficult it actually is to get up every day and have...............nothing to do...

Best of luck mate. Keep the head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Stay motivated OP

It's quite easy to fall into a rut
    Drinking cans to distract yourself, watching daytime trash TV, sleeping during the day and playing computer games at night

And while some will trash you over this and call you lazy, it's more that your confidence takes a hammering and you become withdrawn

Don't get in a rut, treat the job hunting as a job and also use the free time to blitz into a fitness routine.
    Hey it's January :)
    dvpower wrote: »
    His employers are scumbags because they made him redundant?:confused:

Never waste a good recession ;)
    Plently of businesses out there doing well but use this opportunity to drive home the "lucky to have a job" message

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭janullrich

If it is any hope to u. I wrote a thread about being shafted by one of the big banks just before Christmas. Pure greed. I am still annoyed about it but yesterday got a 10month contract with somewhere else. Ok it ain't permanent and before I heard I was in a depression re the situation. However main thing as has been said is keep positive, gym, walking outside, doing other activites that would improve yourself and make u happy ie I look at German TV for a little time in the morning etc and look around. Maybe some good news story will happen to you as well. God knows we need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

keithob wrote: »
    some, but not all employers are letting staff go in order to maximise profits and not to save the business from failing....

Its greed....

This.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Chessala

In all fairness, while reading this some things just popped into my head.

Please mind that I am NOT saying anything bad about the OP but isn't it too easy to blame the recession alone? Do we know anything that might have happened before or how the OP was getting on?

I'm not trying to badmouth anyone but I think people say too easily that they have been let go because of the recession. It's a convenient excuse that will keep people from asking questions.

Still, I hope things will work out for you OP, if it was the recession's fault I am sure you will be employed again soon!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

keithob wrote: »
    some, but not all employers are letting staff go in order to maximise profits and not to save the business from failing....

Its greed....

Is that not the point of business? To make profit?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Chessala wrote: »
    In all fairness, while reading this some things just popped into my head.

Please mind that I am NOT saying anything bad about the OP but isn't it too easy to blame the recession alone? Do we know anything that might have happened before or how the OP was getting on?

I'm not trying to badmouth anyone but I think people say too easily that they have been let go because of the recession. It's a convenient excuse that will keep people from asking questions.

Still, I hope things will work out for you OP, if it was the recession's fault I am sure you will be employed again soon!

Ya people will use it as an excuse for anything! Someone goes into a shop expects everything to be given to them for half nothing why? ''We're in a recession'' Treat people who work in shops like s**** ''We're in a recession they should be gland i came in so i can treat them anyway i want''

Advertisement