Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf guards or compression socks

Options
  • 11-01-2012 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭

I've had a few troubles with my calves going pop when push comes to shove in long races in the past and at present i'm doing a few things to try and prevent this happening again such as a series of core work exercises that i've been given by my physio.

I've read bits and bobs about people swearing by calf guards/compression socks to support the calves while running or afterwards. So what i'm after is what people on here think who wear them of their uses (if good or bad) and opinions on what type if any are best.

Thanks in advance, C

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I had troublesome calves and invested in compression socks last Winter - haven't looked back and find them great. Will normally bring a spare pair to races and wear them home also - great for recovery.
    Keep an eye on Lidl and Aldi I picked up several pairs there and just rotate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I wear compression socks for any races longer than half-marathons, as well as for long training runs (say, about 18 miles or more). I used to suffer from cramps in my calves at the end of long races.

Compression socks have completely solved that problem, and the one time I stupidly listened to someone else and did not wear them last year, I promptly had the same problem again.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Thanks lads. Any particular brand that i should go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭KoemansCC

I have a pair of 1000 mile compression socks that I wore on a few longish runs (15-17k) and found them alright. Bought of a pair of compressport calf guards lately and they seem to be the business, haven't used them running yet (only for recovery) but at least you can wear your own socks with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

I was getting calf issues last year in the run up to a race and got Tommie Copper calf sleeves, expensive, but they do the job and - like most calf sleeves - you can wear them under trousers/jeans or while you sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dernipper

I use the skins compression / calf guards for training LSR and as recovery after runs if I feel any niggles, previoulsy both calfs were causing me problems ( medial gastroc ) but no issues since I started using them, costs around 45 euro if recall correctly but was spending that on Physio !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

chinguetti wrote: »
    Thanks lads. Any particular brand that i should go for?

You get what you pay for, when it comes to proper compression.

These are the best I've come across....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Izoard wrote: »
    You get what you pay for, when it comes to proper compression.

These are the best I've come across....

spagbol, I have the these exact ones, they certainly compress and hold their elasticity but for me the jury is still out..... I did wear compression socks to bed one night, very comfortable, but got told off by you know who for stretching them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

+1 for the compressport ones. I've also got the (3xs?) black ones with the underfoot stirrup and go-faster white X's (or are they chevrons?) on the front... not nearly as good as the compressport ones. Wearing them now (I'll spare you the rest of what I'm wearing under my "normal" clothes:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

+1 for compressport calf guards and shocks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Go2Guy

Just looking at compressport socks. I am right on the cusp of size T2 and T3. The range of T2 calf size is 34 to 38cm and T3 is 38 to 42cm. My calf is 38.6cm. I know that puts in the T3 band technically but I would be afraid that being at the very low end of it's elasticity will mean less compression. I'm just wondering if in ye're opinion(s) would I be better off to go for the smaller size?
    Thanks,
    G

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Go2Guy wrote: »
    Just looking at compressport socks. I am right on the cusp of size T2 and T3. The range of T2 calf size is 34 to 38cm and T3 is 38 to 42cm. My calf is 38.6cm. I know that puts in the T3 band technically but I would be afraid that being at the very low end of it's elasticity will mean less compression. I'm just wondering if in ye're opinion(s) would I be better off to go for the smaller size?
    Thanks,
    G

Yes for the smaller size - otherwise it will slip down your calf.

Having said that, I was getting berated by a French lad after the Abu Dhabi tri, who claimed to work for Compressport, that the guards were too tight on me.
    However, I've suffered a lot in the past with Achillies issues, which have more or less disappeared since I started using my current Compressport guards.

Thanks Izoard
    They are €35.28 incl delivery on chain reactions. I can't find them cheaper anywhere else. Seems reasonable especially if they help.
    Is this definitely the product we're talking about:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=70566

EDIT: Sorry I just saw a link to the same one above.

:-D
    I was passing a sports shop at lunch time and bought these:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=54990
    Slightly "impulesy" but I always prefer to buy locally rather than online...supporting jobs, keeping money in the economy and exercising my purchasing patriotism (as one late politician might say).
    It turns out their sizing charts are a bit off too, I am xs rather than medium much to my humiliation :-)

G

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Calve guards for defo. The compress sport ones are top. At first when you put them on you might think they're too tight but they're grand.
    I wear them in training and racing all the time, afterwards aswell. Actually on the subject of recovery, the compress sport recovery tights are the business. They make the skins recovery gear feel like baggy trousers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

tunguska wrote: »
    Calve guards for defo. The compress sport ones are top. At first when you put them on you might think they're too tight but they're grand.
    I wear them in training and racing all the time, afterwards aswell. Actually on the subject of recovery, the compress sport recovery tights are the business. They make the skins recovery gear feel like baggy trousers.

I got a pair of the quad guards last week to go with the calf guards.... A little slippage if I run in them but great for recovery which is what I bought them for.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

I got myself some skins too, and I don't know how the magic works, but it works. I was always sore after training runs of 8k upwards the following day. Those days/pains are gone, and I can only look to the skins as the solution.

Easily the best investment in gear I've made.

Advertisement