Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alf McCarthy on Late Date

Options
  • 11-01-2012 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭

I like Late Date, it's a grand way to relax at the end of the day, even if I did prefer it when Val Joyce was presenting.

One thing that bothers me about Alf McCarthy presenting though (apart from his inability to say 'New Jersey' in anything other than his impression of a New Jersey accent) is that he reads out texts from people requesting songs, but never actually plays those songs.

Surely there's not point of telling us what people want to hear unless he's going to play it? Or am I the only only one who has noticed/is bothered by this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Nick Guats

I like Late Date, it's a grand way to relax at the end of the day, even if I did prefer it when Val Joyce was presenting.

One thing that bothers me about Alf McCarthy presenting though (apart from his inability to say 'New Jersey' in anything other than his impression of a New Jersey accent) is that he reads out texts from people requesting songs, but never actually plays those songs.

Surely there's not point of telling us what people want to hear unless he's going to play it? Or am I the only only one who has noticed/is bothered by this?

Val Joyce was great, He didnt read out texts because he didnt know how to use the text machine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

Nick Guats wrote: »
    Val Joyce was great, He didnt read out texts because he didnt know how to use the text machine
    Good old Val ! The frequent pauses and clicking of buttons as he tried to get to grips with all the flashing lights and computer screens in front of him was priceless. Once vinyl records went he was well and truly snookered ! And you could hear him getting ''thick'' with the equipment ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

I've started to listen and find Alf McCarthy very insincere, he's always trying to laugh and sound jocular but he comes off as very contrived to me. Having said that, he plays reasonably good music to drift off to.

That Lillian girl that does weekend's has a lovely voice...some night's I think she is flirting with me.They should have her on all week..twould bate a hot water bottle any day.Maybe if enough of us wrote to the RTE Guide,they might let her on during the week,sure woudnt it be worth a try?
    Regard's,
    Pakie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

That Lillian girl that does weekend's has a lovely voice...some night's I think she is flirting with me.
    Wishful thinking my friend ...

... it's ME she's flirting with :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭hames

he reads out texts from people requesting songs, but never actually plays those songs.
    What I find stranger is the lengths texters go to just to get a request played.

Tonight for example, someone claimed they had just broken both arms today, were in plaster, and it was their 60th birthday today too boot... and could they please have request XYZ... :confused: how was s/he texting with two broken arms? and as everyone knows, you don't get a plaster fitted for a few days after you've broken a limb.

Another person texted in the day before Velentines day, asking for a request for their future husband. She claimed her boyfriend had surprised her with the fact that they were to marry the next day (Valentines Day) and would Alf please say song XYZ.
    :confused: Both parties to a merriage have to give 3 months notice

It's not Alf that I find entertaining, it's the lengths some of his texters go to. Just buy the record on itunes if you care that much:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

I doff my hat to your knowledge :D They certainly are quite desperate to hear the songs!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Bloody*Mary

I've started to listen and find Alf McCarthy very insincere, he's always trying to laugh and sound jocular but he comes off as very contrived to me. Having said that, he plays reasonably good music to drift off to.

My impression too, auld Lillian Sssssmyth is much more sincere sounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭GSF

With people requesting songs, its not so much that they want to hear the song themselves I think, as they want every body else to be forced to listen to a song because they like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭hames

I disagree with alfie sounding contrived.

you'd probably get fed up too if you were receiving such drivel via the text machine

he's trying to put a happy radio face on it when he must be rolling his eyes like a put-upon mother. You have to admit there is a small minority of late nights cranks and mischief makers who seem to do everyone's head in.

EDIT case proven just now
    alf has inadvertantly read out the text of some busybody emigrant boasting about the warm temperatures in australia. he tried to stifle his rage but you could hear it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement