Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tata Safari Jeep

Options
  • 11-01-2012 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi,hoping to get a bit of advice. I am looking for a 7 seater car with limited funds. Came accross a 05 Tata Safari today thats in my price range,but have never seen 1 before. Has anyone had experience of them? Going to look at it tomorrow evening,but just wanted to get some reviews 1st. It will be used as a normal family car for 6 people. Thanks for any feedback.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Christ no....the 05 reg plate will be the most up to date thing about it. Parts supply would also be an issue.
    I drove one....I was actually gob smacked by how bad it was to drive and how cheap and old fashioned it was inside.

What's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Jesus. Don't do it :o

Toyota estima, Mazda bongo or Mpv, even a Nissan serena

Would jaguar dealers not do the parts now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

RUN AWAY

They are sub shyte

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Amen to that, don't go near it, appallingly nailed together.

Same company now own Land Rover (and much more besides) but things have moved on since 2005 (I hope :eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Gene Hunt

No TA for the TATA!!....don't bother lookin they may be India's rolls royce but they are absolute rubbish.
    As said above Toyota Previa do 7/8 seats AWD version if you're on a budget.

• Advertisement

The Tata indica, sold here as the Rover Cityrover was another dreadful car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

I dont know by your original post if you need a jeep 7 seater or not but if so then here's a better bet:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2864517

View2-9329594.jpeg

You'd get it for 4 grand. Awful on diesel and they're not exactly what you'd call advanced but they're a bloody great jeep that keep on going and at far less cost than a Land Cruiser. Lots of luxury inside too ;)

The safari is a 1.9 diesel though! I'd say if the op had 4 grand he wouldnt be looking at a safari

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

The Tata indica, sold here as the Rover Cityrover was another dreadful car.

I remember the Top Gear test..:p

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The safari is a 1.9 diesel though

A 1.9 diesel with only 80 odd HP though....in a car that weighs over 2 tonnes!!

• Advertisement

A 1.9 diesel with only 80 odd HP though....in a car that weighs over 2 tonnes!!

Jesus wept! That's more than a land cruiser

That's the XUD engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

God I feel ill looking at pictures of that car...
    80bhp in a 2 Tonne jeep makes that car slower than a 1 legged dog on tranquilisers..:D

I just read a short online description of the 1st generation safari(the one the OP would be looking at)

Included is the description is "It came with a synchromesh forward five-speed gearbox, with a 4X4 option" :eek: They might as well say "it comes complete with 4 wheels"

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭lip

Thats a definate NO then. Glad I posted here before looking at it. My budget is 3000. Wrote off my Zafira and insurance only gave me 2900 for it. Can't get another Zafira with the same specs for that money,so just looking at everything. Been looking at Galaxys and Trajets too. I need all 7 seats up so its hard to find a 7 seater with a half decent boot.
    Thanks for all your comments,appreciate it.

lip wrote: »
    Thats a definate NO then. Glad I posted here before looking at it. My budget is 3000. Wrote off my Zafira and insurance only gave me 2900 for it. Can't get another Zafira with the same specs for that money,so just looking at everything. Been looking at Galaxys and Trajets too. I need all 7 seats up so its hard to find a 7 seater with a half decent boot.

Whats your take on engine size/tax?

You could get an older Toyota Previa/Estima for that budget, lots of space even with 7 seats used and very reliable.

Something like this.....and the change would buy you a couple of years tax...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2796742

Another with NCT,

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2858882

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭lip

Thanks for taking the time to do that,but don't want to go over 2lt,tax is way too high,and would like to get something around 2002. Think the Trajet is 1 of the more spacious ones. I may do the rounds on Saturday and hopefully find something.

Thanks for taking the time to do that,but don't want to go over 2lt,tax is way too high,and would like to get something around 2002. Think the Trajet is 1 of the more spacious ones. I may do the rounds on Saturday and hopefully find something.

Personally I wouldn't be worried about the year. The previa/estima is a much better equipped vehicle then the trajet IMO. Trajets are very heavy on tyres/brakes/clutches and the tax on a 2.2 is €200 more then a 2.0. If you got a good estima for 2k or less then thats 1k left in the budget for the extra tax.

The import versions often have tonnes of extras like curtains, rear separate A/C, refrigerators etc

Just an idea...

Get a galaxy/Alhambra/sharan. Miles better than a newer trajet.

ND, Don't those estima diesels give lots of cooling system problems?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Get a galaxy/Alhambra/sharan. Miles better than a newer trajet.

ND, Don't those estima diesels give lots of cooling system problems?

Only when not maintained, they can suffer leaks which when left unrepaired(cheat to repair normally) they can loose water and overheat...causing damage.

The engine is accessed from under the passanger seat so even fewer people check the fluids regularly then in a normal car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

You might look at the Honda Odyssey.

Seats 7 and still take a lot in the boot.

There is one Zafira in your price range on CarZone, but only a 1.5

• Advertisement

You might look at the Honda Odyssey.

Seats 7 and still take a lot in the boot.

There is one Zafira in your price range on CarZone, but only a 1.5

Zafira's only come in 1.6 or larger.

Availability of non service parts would be an issue for the odyssey too as there are so few on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Zafira's only come in 1.6 or larger.

Some of the "1.6" are "1.598" and list as a 1.5 on the sites.
    Availability of non service parts would be an issue for the odyssey too as there are so few on the road.

Maybe, but there are a hell of a lot more of them than the Tata Safari the OP was talking of. :)

Advertisement