Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double parking on main st.

Options
  • 11-01-2012 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm a frequent enough visitor to Longford and simply lost for words at the sheer amount of double and triple parking that occurs in the town, its staggering!

I'm from a similarly sized town and can honestly say there is nowhere near the blatant disregard for other people that's shown in Longford, cars simply double parked with the double flashers left on. There seems to be a major concentration of this around Luigis and down towards Heatons and I've never once seen a traffic warden on the street.

Am I the only one that has noticed this? Pretty sure I'm not imagining it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭KAGY

Yep, it's a big problem around Luigi's, but the warden is off around dinner time.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

I have had more than one experience of this in Longford. On one occassion the chap in front stopped the car. I thought there was a tail back. I only realised that he was parking his car in the middle of the road when he opened the door and walked off.

I would have got thick about it but he had the good manners to put on the hazzard lights :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Popple3

The worst is when you see people double parked right outside Macari's when there's a few proper parking spots nearby. Obviously being done out of pure laziness rather than just not being able to find a spot.

I'd go park over at Tesco or on New Street and walk down before I'd double park. In fact, I'd probably just go straight there and forget about even trying to parking nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 John the baptist

There seems to be a major concentration of this around Luigis and down towards Heatons and I've never once seen a traffic warden on the street.

Whatever about Luigi's, i can't understand how there would be no traffic warden in the vicinity of Heatons, i mean Paddy Power's is just next door!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Glad it's not just me. Read in another thread that there is 6 parking wardens for Longford?!

Are they all blind?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭davehey79

double parking outside deli burger really gets on my wick especially as they tend to be double parked almost at the lights thus me thinking im in the queue for the lights and there's a backup on Dublin St. only to realise its some knob in for his pizza who cant be arsed 1) putting on hazards or 2) parking in a spot or 3) double parking in close to the already parked car. i would love to see the guards round town at that time of the evening and indeed at lunchtime to move them along for a few days or so and let people know it wont be tolerated. Another off shoot of this is when in the middle lane heading down the town you get idiots who swerve out into the middle lane to avoid the double parkers who don't bother to indicate this is what they are doing thus almost side swiping me and then they get the thick head as if twas my fault i didn't know that's what they would do. If they put an indicator on i might let them out !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

The guards in Longford have to be some of the most useless in the county. How often do you ever see any on foot patrol. Even at night you be damn lucky to see a guard. But the guards wont do anything about double parking. Their at it the whole time themselves. Can't even count the number of times I've seen them double parked out chipperes or Chinese takeaways or just even outside a shop to get what only seems like a mineral and packet of crisps. Used to take pitures of them but lost that phone. Think I shall start up that hoby again and post them here or email them to the minister of justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭poor farmer

Hi all, I'm a frequent enough visitor to Longford and simply lost for words at the sheer amount of double and triple parking that occurs in the town, its staggering!

I'm from a similarly sized town and can honestly say there is nowhere near the blatant disregard for other people that's shown in Longford, cars simply double parked with the double flashers left on. There seems to be a major concentration of this around Luigis and down towards Heatons and I've never once seen a traffic warden on the street.

Am I the only one that has noticed this? Pretty sure I'm not imagining it!

Constant problem and it slows down the traffic big time. I have seen the guards double parking while the use the pass machine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I have often double parked outside Luigis if the hunger got the better of me..

Everyone in Longford seems to do it..

-Corkie- wrote: »
    I have often double parked outside Luigis if the hunger got the better of me..

Everyone in Longford seems to do it..

Sorry but that's just lazy and ignorant. Why not just find a space down the street?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Sorry but that's just lazy and ignorant. Why not just find a space down the street?

They are always full.

-Corkie- wrote: »
    They are always full.

Side street?

I needed to nip into boots this morning, cars double parked everywhere so I just went to one of the side streets. Its surely not that difficult to figure out?

Any consideration for those who you are blocking in because of your laziness?

Side street?

I needed to nip into boots this morning, cars double parked everywhere so I just went to one of the side streets. Its surely not that difficult to figure out?

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a fair few (albeit probably minor) accidents because of double parking. I know I've had people pull out in front of me to go around double parked cars.

Kilashee St. tends to have a few spots most of the time if memory serves me correctly. And if all else fails, there's Tesco car park. Sure it'll add a few mins to your trip, but it's better than causing obstructions and potentially dangerous scenarios.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Deregos

Well, I'm not sure if it was just a coincidence or whether some of our boys in blue are actually reading this thread, but yesterday evening I witnessed a squad car pull up alongside, chatting to each of the drivers of the double parked cars at Luigis, and i'm assuming that they were asking them to move on, because when I arrived back around later on, all the double parked cars were gone.

Good on ya Rozzers!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Side street?

but sure if ya were to do that yer chips would get cold

but sure if ya were to do that yer chips would get cold

Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

There is even a free car park beside Aldi. Less than a two minute walk and your on Ballymahon street or Main street. But obviously this is too much to ask from a nation full of lazy obese people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Some years ago, when new to Longford, I parked at the kerb, legally, and got blocked in by double parkers….three times! On the third occasion, I marched off to the Guards barracks and described the location. “Ah, don’t worry, They’ll probably only be a few minutes. They’re probably only in for a takeaway or a quick pint”. “Oh,” I said. "So you can prosecute them for double parking AND drink driving?” “Ah now”, said the guard, “there’s no need to be like that”.
    Parked behind Heitons after that.....until my car was keyed. Parked at the swimming pool after that.....until my door mirror was ripped off and thrown across the road. Then I parked at Tesco....., until someone drove a trolley into my passenger door.
    I don't work in Longford anymore and guess what? I haven't been blocked in or had any vandalism on my car since I left Longford!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭markbld65

Deregos wrote: »
    I witnessed a squad car pull up alongside, chatting to each of the drivers of the double parked cars at Luigis,
    Good on ya Rozzers!

lol or they might have being placeing their order or asking was the lunchtime special still on :)

in a more serious note

i have seen a traffic warden walk past double parked cars/vans and done nothing and i've seen the same warden lurking in tesco's car park waiting for tickets to go over their time-span and then ticket the vehicle
    thus the problem for double parking they usually patrol the easy target eg double parked means driver is very close by and tesco's car park is pandoras box em

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭garfieldsghost

markbld65 wrote: »
    lol or they might have being placeing their order or asking was the lunchtime special still on :)

in a more serious note

i have seen a traffic warden walk past double parked cars/vans and done nothing and i've seen the same warden lurking in tesco's car park waiting for tickets to go over their time-span and then ticket the vehicle
    thus the problem for double parking they usually patrol the easy target eg double parked means driver is very close by and tesco's car park is pandoras box em

You could be onto something there.

Do the traffic wardens in Longford have to meet monthly targets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭markbld65

You could be onto something there.

Do the traffic wardens in Longford have to meet monthly targets?

not sure if they have targets to meet however i do know of one that is highly thought of in the council seems he brings in a lot of ahem revenue

heard a story a while back concerning a issue in the town with parking if i can google it or prove a link to it i may post it up
    its very interesting reading/topic

Just after seeing an ambulance double parked outside Macari's while the two paramedics were in getting food. Ridiculous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Sure theyhave no option but to double park if all the disabled spaces have been taken up!
    This drives me nuts. I had a blazing row with a footballer up at Slashers one night who swung into one of the two disabled spaces in an otherwise empty car park. "Im a member" was his defence:eek:. This is a regular problem up at Slashers / Backstage.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭garfieldsghost

Sure theyhave no option but to double park if all the disabled spaces have been taken up!
    This drives me nuts. I had a blazing row with a footballer up at Slashers one night who swung into one of the two disabled spaces in an otherwise empty car park. "Im a member" was his defence:eek:. This is a regular problem up at Slashers / Backstage.

Sure why should a perfectly healthy footballer have to walk a few extra steps to the door when he can park in a disabled space? :rolleyes: Pathetic excuse.

Did you complain to management?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Sure why should a perfectly healthy footballer have to walk a few extra steps to the door when he can park in a disabled space? :rolleyes: Pathetic excuse.

Did you complain to management?

I mentioned it to some backstage people who's hands are tied. they are tennents of Slashers and Slashers dont seem bothered by the situation.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Deregos wrote: »
    Well, I'm not sure if it was just a coincidence or whether some of our boys in blue are actually reading this thread, but yesterday evening I witnessed a squad car pull up alongside, chatting to each of the drivers of the double parked cars at Luigis, and i'm assuming that they were asking them to move on, because when I arrived back around later on, all the double parked cars were gone.

Good on ya Rozzers!

Some time ago i saw a ban garda in her squad car double park and abandon car and go into Luigi's, one rule for one and another rule for another?

Personally i don't mind someone double parking as long as they are not obstructing and they stay in their car and move when needed. Anyone who gets out and leaves their car IMO is an ignorant good for nothing B******. Next time i see it happen they will get a ticket, i'll make sure of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭UrbanMonkey

In fairness, in Longford, it's just become acceptable to double park around Luigis.. I know it's wrong and not fair on others that are blocked in but I'm 18 and it's been going on for as long as I can remember..

A multi-storey car park would do Longford wonders!

That little car park in behind Xtra-Vision/Farrell Coy etc. would be a perfect spot. Easy access from Main Street too!

Advertisement