Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Source of things to come - Can I get an Amen? "Hallelujah"

Options
  • 11-01-2012 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭

I know we've thrown this subject matter up elsewhere before (nothing new there eh!! :D) but I don't think there was ever a dedicated thread for all things 'Amen' ( apologies if I'm wrong on that).

Many of us know all about it,some not as much as others,some not at all (shame on you!! - just kidding)

So with that in mind I thought, why not help educate those who want to know,want to know but don't know it yet , and those who are going to know wheter they want to or not :D ......

The Source

For anyone new to this I'm imaging at this point your thinking 'wtf has an old record from 1969 got to do with electronic music & dj'ing?' ...... well stay tuned (roll a smoke,make a cuppa,grab a drink or whatever) and check this out ....

The History

Ya got that enlightened feeling now havent ya? ;), good!! - Now go and spread the good word,seek out the amen sound and bring back your findings (be it Hip Hop or *Rave)

*Rave - incorporating all branches such as Acid,House,Ragga,Hardcore,Breakbeat,Jungle,Drum n Bass etc

:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

How long before we have threads for tracks beginning with the letter 'A', 'B', 'C' etc?

Or a thread dedicated to artists beginning with 'The'......

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

ianuss wrote: »
    How long before we have threads for tracks beginning with the letter 'A', 'B', 'C' etc?

Or a thread dedicated to artists beginning with 'The'......

:)

Obviously a little longer than the time it takes the smart ar$es to appear :D

Brilliant idea though, all nice an alphabetical,uniformed & organised :pac: .......
    I was reading this the other day and decided to give it a go...
    http://www.djtechtools.com/2009/10/26/organize-your-music-by-track-type/

It seems like a pretty good way to categorize your music. Basically, you have 3 types of track. Type I being quite minimal, Type II being midrange and Type III being high energy tracks. It's explained better in the link......

So, what I ended up doing was setting up folders based on genres, and once I had that done, I went through the tracks once more and filed them according to 'Type'. Now, it was fairly time consuming but it's something I'll only have to do once, and I'm hoping it will make track selection that little bit easier.

I've also used your suggestion Zascar, and kept a seperate folder for new tunes. Once I get to know em a bit better then I can pop them in with the others. Just thought it was an idea worth sharing

I'll let you crack on with that so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

Ha......I couldn't resist. That is some quality internet investigative work by the way.

To be honest, I may as well have filed all those tracks under 'useless' for all the good it did. I ended up starting to collect records instead.

Ha......I couldn't resist. That is some quality internet investigative work by the way.

To be honest, I may as well have filed all those tracks under 'useless' for all the good it did. I ended up starting to collect records instead.

Hahaha couldn't resist the lure of the licorice eh!? :D ........ I gave up long ago trying to categorize my MP3's (over 8000 and counting) most of my files are now listed as "latest tunes 1,2,3" etc etc...

Tunes like .....

and

and

Amen to that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Great idea for a thread, but why would you put Q-Project - Champion Sound in there?

Uses the Hot Pants break, sourced from here:

:confused:

• Advertisement

Also, I'd say it's pretty unlikely that the vast majority of early hardcore would have sampled Amen brother directly - considering the main sources for samples on vinyl would have been scratch records / beats & breaks compilations for turntablists and breakdancers (you'd be amazed at how many of the Hardcore and Jungle heads came up through that whole scene), and considering how few 7" copies of Amen Brother would have been imported from the states at the time (considering the UK was a bit busy sending Beatles and the Stones etc over there).

Mantronix - King of the Beats and NWA - Straight out of Compton have more rugged grittily processed Amens on them; the Compton Amen is still heard all over the place in harder DnB because of the dirt that Dre engineered into it, that big levels-in-the-red overdriven analog desk sound.

Ha, just as I was posting the above thread I got sent an unreleased Amen tune over AIM by one of my favourite new producers.

Synchronicity how are ye!

Great idea for a thread, but why would you put Q-Project - Champion Sound in there?

Uses the Hot Pants break, sourced from here:

In a nutshell.....Coz I like it.....but I wouldnt call myself an expert on the subject so you'll have to forgive my ignorance :)

:confused:

Also, I'd say it's pretty unlikely that the vast majority of early hardcore would have sampled Amen brother directly - considering the main sources for samples on vinyl would have been scratch records / beats & breaks compilations for turntablists and breakdancers (you'd be amazed at how many of the Hardcore and Jungle heads came up through that whole scene), and considering how few 7" copies of Amen Brother would have been imported from the states at the time (considering the UK was a bit busy sending Beatles and the Stones etc over there).

Mantronix - King of the Beats and NWA - Straight out of Compton have more rugged grittily processed Amens on them; the Compton Amen is still heard all over the place in harder DnB because of the dirt that Dre engineered into it, that big levels-in-the-red overdriven analog desk sound.

As above,I wouldnt be an expert on the subject but I'd hazard a guess that more than less where chopping & sampling the Amen break rather than just using the actual 6 second loop from the winstons track or not as noticeable as say NWA's straight outta compton, I'm not one for oh but thats hardcore,thats this n thats that in regard to genres hence my inclusion of the variety of styles from the good aul days.

Thanks for correcting me,it's clear I've much to learn, I'll have to 'consider' the subject matter of future posts more carefully from now on.

.......or atleast after this one :D

EarlERizer wrote: »
    In a nutshell.....Coz I like it.....but I wouldnt call myself an expert on the subject so you'll have to forgive my ignorance

Oh of course, and don't get me wrong, it's a great tune, one of my favourites from that era in fact, just seemed odd to start a thread about the Amen break, stick in a link to the original Amen Brother and a link to a documentary about the Amen break, it's history and significance and then finishing the post with a tune with no Amen in it.

:pac:

Moving swiftly on, here are some of Ireland's greatest contributions to the art of the Amen:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Soundclash arouses me every time i listen to it.

Moving swiftly on, here are some of Ireland's greatest contributions to the art of the Amen:

Badass!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

already posted a track from this album http://www.discogs.com/Various-DJ-Trace-Presents-Amen-Warfare/release/3279953 in the dnb thread, great album in my opinion, name says it all really ;)

That Amen Warfare album is wicked all right, had the Wav's since October, and I still can't choose which two of them I'm getting cut :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Just thought i would throw in also of equal status is James Browns

'Funky Drummer'

The audio link on the wiki page doesnt actually have the part of the song you would most recognise that was used in countless rap, hip hop, acid house tracks, You will recognise it here,

Just thought i would throw in also of equal status is James Browns

'Funky Drummer'

The audio link on the wiki page doesnt actually have the part of the song you would most recognise that was used in countless rap, hip hop, acid house tracks, You will recognise it

One of the most sampled pieces of music of all time that.

The "Think" break is also very famous, you'll find it in millions of hip hop, house, hardcore, dubstep and jungle / dnb tunes to this very day. As with a lot of these tunes that got sampled to death there's various different versions that get sampled from different sources; some use the original 7" (which has the very useful hi-hat section that the others all lack) and some use James Brown's version or one of the many live versions.

Arguably almost as important as the Amen, the Incredible Bongo Band's percussion-orchestra cover of (Cliff Richard's) backing band The Shadows' instrumental hit "Apache" was the VERY FIRST breakbeat ever to be beat juggled by DJ Kool Herc at one of his block parties in New York in the 1970's, laying the foundation for Hip Hop, Turntablism, Breakdancing and pretty much kicking off the quest among DJ's to buy multiple copies of Funk tunes with percussive breakdowns...

The original :

Grandmaster Flash Remix

Paradox - Bongolia

........speaking of the 'Amen Warfare'

I feel for ya Exec Steve , trying to decide which ones to get cut :confused: fook man I want them all on licorice!!

There's a sequel coming next year, and I'm told there will be a highly limited four track double vinyl pressing of Volume 1 as well as a double CD.

Sales haven't been great apparently, and they've been caught between two stools while moving to a different distributor, but Amen Warfare 2 and another Jungle-focused DSCI4 compilation are still planned for 2012.

(so I've been told by a source close to the label). Fingers crossed anyway, because there's some amazing stuff slated for release.

• Advertisement
Advertisement