Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Toyota Avensis Diesel Tourer Auto

Options
  • 11-01-2012 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have an idea why this model is unavailable in Ireland? I rang a couple of toyota dealers and they only do a saloon model in diesel auto. It's available on the toyota UK web site ok.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Because they wouldn't sell any. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,993 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes it's a strange one between certain models that they don't sell here and seem to do ok numbers with in the UK. On the other side of things the Corolla saloon is not sold at all in the UK but i recon here it outsells the Auris by a large number. The Focus sells large numbers of saloons here but if your ever looking on UK sites it's about 95% hatchback model.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

As above, plus the fact that the Avensis diesel auto is in band D when rival diesel autos are in band B or C, so it is dearer to buy and will be dearer to tax than its competitors, so it is a pointless model in the line up.

Estates represented 9.4% of Avensis sales, so offering such a model for Ireland might get them about five extra sales, which is nothing, so it's not worth the bother.

Anyway the current Avensis is comprehensively outclassed by the Ford Mondeo, VW Passat, Opel Insignia, Skoda Superb, well everything else in the class really in every area that matters, so I would recommend that you look at something else OP.

There is a funny way of ordering models in Toyota Ireland though.
    Colours for example. They base what colours they pick for cars to ore order for allocation on how many they've traditionally sold,
    In my experience we always had a glut of silver navy and black toyotas, hey sold to people who weren't fussed about colour. They wouldn't bring in decent amounts of different colours as they weren't strong sellers. As they sell about 95% of their cars from stock or pre determined mix of allocations. factory orders are unheard of unless it's a land cruiser with options) it's a vicious circle.

Same with some trim levels and even on the petrol/diesel split. It took them 18 months to respond to the new vrt and stop shipping in petrol corolla lunas and petrol avensiss.

maybe if certain models were readily available, people would buy them, but Toyota always err on the side of caution (arrogance) in Ireland

With estates they always tend to only offer the base model. (base model with alloys and fos in the case of he current avensis)

colm_mcm wrote: »
    There is a funny way of ordering models in Toyota Ireland though.
    Colours for example. They base what colours they pick for cars to ore order for allocation on how many they've traditionally sold,
    In my experience we always had a glut of silver navy and black toyotas, hey sold to people who weren't fussed about colour. They wouldn't bring in decent amounts of different colours as they weren't strong sellers. As they sell about 95% of their cars from stock or pre determined mix of allocations. factory orders are unheard of unless it's a land cruiser with options) it's a vicious circle.

Same with some trim levels and even on the petrol/diesel split. It took them 18 months to respond to the new vrt and stop shipping in petrol corolla lunas and petrol avensiss.

maybe if certain models were readily available, people would buy them, but Toyota always err on the side of caution (arrogance) in Ireland

With estates they always tend to only offer the base model. (base model with alloys and fos in the case of he current avensis)

The 2012 Avensis estate is available as a Luna model as well:eek:.

The one thing I find weird about Toyota Ireland is that they don't always bring in models that would sell relatively well, yet they do sell models that I know for a fact won't sell in a month of Sundays.

I mean until they facelifted the Avensis a few weeks ago the 2.0 diesel was only available with the bottom three specs but the top spec Sol model was only available as a 2.0 petrol and the Luna model was available as a 1.8 or a 2.2 diesel!

The facelifted Avensis is available with a 1.6 petrol (which no-one will buy) and a 1.8 petrol auto (which no-one will buy either even though it is lower on CO2 and in a lower tax band than the diesel auto), and the Verso is available with these engines too even though no-one buys a petrol MPV.

I can't help but feel that a 2.0 Corolla diesel would sell relatively well (if it is in band A like that engine is in the Avensis), but I suppose the arrogance factor creeps in and they couldn't be bothered. That is one thing I do find strange, there seems to be a higher proportion of poverty spec Toyotas relative to other makes, even by Irish standards. I guess if they actually let people order what they wanted they might go for the higher spec models, but I don't know. Then again, considering how much Toyota customise the Irish cars, I suppose they're only going to bring in the models they think will sell. I doubt it they car anyway considering that they were number 1 last year and are always first or second. That free servicing offer was ingenious really, plus it was a very good idea considering how many Irish people don't look after their cars :D!

Personally I would rather they aligned their model range close to the UK (bar the mph clocks obviously), do we really need the rough road pack for example? I doubt it anyone buys a Toyota here because it has an Irish specific suspension!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Personally I would rather they aligned their model range close to the UK (bar the mph clocks obviously), do we really need the rough road pack for example? I doubt it anyone buys a Toyota here because it has an Irish specific suspension!
    Rough road pack is needed here.

I'm gone from Toyota now, but I'd suspect the rough road pack is gone, newer auris and avensis seem to sit lower than before. Emissions would be the logical explanation.

I see the avensis 2.0d is band A now
    Alloys are 17" now

Wowzers...

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Rough road pack is needed here.

I don't think so, unless of course the standard suspension is that brittle. I have gone in Toyotas both with and without the rough road pack and I can't tell any difference between ride comfort (I presume the models with the rough road pack are supposed to be more comfortable).

Most people buy Toyotas because of their reputation for reliability and their after sales service (which is excellent) plus the three years free servicing, certainly these are the only even remotely logical reasons for buying any of the current line up, because the current range is crap. They were making good cars for a few years about eight or nine years ago when the Mk2 Avensis was introduced, and the 02-07 Corolla was a good car too, but they've gone back to their old ways since then.

Plus the reliability isn't that much better than anything else out there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭Casati

Did you see the Toyota configuartor? I had a look expecting to be able to build an Avensis with options as you can a Passat- how wrong I was!! The only option you have is the paint colour, you can't even spec different wheels

I suppose your average consumer doesn't really care to spec up a car, and is happy buying whatever model the salesman tell him or her is the best. In fairness to them the latest Avensis is available in a decent range of spec and engine options, and finally you can get electric rear windows in an estate if you want.

Overall the pricing of Toyota isn't bad, you can get a 2.0 Avensis for about the same money as 1.6 Passat or Mondeo so that must be a big selling point, though I find it hard to believe that the overall range sells better than anything else, the strong dealer network is a big plus

The Auto Diesel is a great car, but it sits three bands higher than the equivalent manual so the VRT alone would result in a 3/4 grand premium. The Insignia is the same band D, Mondeo just gets into band C, as does the 508 2.0. If you want a diesel estate auto I think the latest Passat DSG 2.0 140 is band B and is a good package at 35k for a comfort line

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Or a Skoda Superb Combi Elegance DSG for similar money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I don't think so, unless of course the standard suspension is that brittle. I have gone in Toyotas both with and without the rough road pack and I can't tell any difference between ride comfort (I presume the models with the rough road pack are supposed to be more comfortable).
    The rough road pack usually replaced suspension components that suffered such as drop links with ball joints both ends with the cushion type droplinks.
    Different anti-roll bars etc.
    Usually increased ride height as well.
    It was rarely to do with comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Casati wrote: »
    The Auto Diesel is a great car, but it sits three bands higher than the equivalent manual so the VRT alone would result in a 3/4 grand premium. The Insignia is the same band D, Mondeo just gets into band C, as does the 508 2.0. If you want a diesel estate auto I think the latest Passat DSG 2.0 140 is band B and is a good package at 35k for a comfort line

I quoted someone earlier this week for a 2.2 Avensis Auto - pfft, you'd really need to love the Avensis to fork out that sort of cash for one........

The new spec on the Aura brings it more in to line with the competition. The Alloys are a rather nice grey, and Bluetooth & Cruise were well needed in that segment. The Estate can now compete against the likes of the Mondeo and Insignia, even if it is just the Aura (or Luna as well if one of the posts above is correct).

The 2012 Insignia Auto now scrapes in to band C for emissions which means the retail price of an Elite 160ps Auto Sports Tourer is €38,980 - a bit more than Avensis 2.2 Luna, but should be cheaper to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Casati wrote: »
    The only option you have is the paint colour, you can't even spec different wheels

That's because anyone who cares enough about cars to order options wouldn't touch an Avensis with a 40 foot pole.

Toyota have dumped all their even faintly interesting models, and now just sell cars for people who hate cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is the new Hyundai i40 estate diesel available with an auto box?

Would be my choice.

i40-white-1.jpg

Advertisement