Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen account number.....?

Options
  • 11-01-2012 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hey everyone just wondering if someone could help me?

A few weeks ago I was going into my branch of Bank of Ireland to deposit money and as I haven't physically deposited money into my account in ages I brought my account number and sort code with me on a piece of card because I wasn't sure if i'd need them.

Anyway me being the idiot that I am I forgot to take the card out of my purse and destroy it and me being the even bigger idiot that I am I lost my purse today. I think I left it in a bathroom by accident.

So if somebody took my purse and found this information would they be able to take money out of my account? I think you need photo I.D but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

It's highly unlikely.

Contact your branch and tell them. Not sure about boi but they could be able to put a warningnon the account to advise lost bank details.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Even with your account number they would need to present themselves at a branch to try withdraw money. Its up to the bank to satisfy you are the account holder using ID. The person could try use your ID i guess. You would hope the branch will be sharp enough to spot this.

You could contact your branch. They will be able to flag the account for fraudulent activity and put a note to be extra vigilant with identifying the account holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Your bank account number and sort code is on every cheque you write... It is not particularly "secure" information and withdrawing money should be almost impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

They could probably set up a direct debit in your name. That's about it. They wouldn't be able to withdraw money without ID. Still, follow the advice above.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Legislator

Even in the unlikely event that someone did get access to your account to withdraw cash or set up a direct debit the transaction would be unauthorised and under legislation you would be entitled to a refund from your Bank.

• Advertisement
Advertisement