Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cancel a standing order

Options
  • 11-01-2012 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

I signed up for membership of a gym and i pay standing order monthly.

On attempting to quit i was told that i agreed to pay for another two months if i quit i.e quit now and still pay february and march.

Don't have a copy of contract but definately dont remember seeing that.

Having said that it may be in the small print.

Can i just cancel the standing order or can they still take out the next two months membership fee?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,549 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

kdowling wrote: »
    I signed up for membership of a gym and i pay standing order monthly.

On attempting to quit i was told that i agreed to pay for another two months if i quit i.e quit now and still pay february and march.

Don't have a copy of contract but definately dont remember seeing that.

Having said that it may be in the small print.

Can i just cancel the standing order or can they still take out the next two months membership fee?

You can cancel the standing order with your Bank (do it in writing and keep a copy), they cannot take the money, but they can send debt collectors after you.

Are you sure it's a standing order and not a direct debit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Standing order - arrangement between you and your bank to pay a third party a fixed sum each month. You have control.

Direct debit - arrangement between you and a third party which permits the latter to debit your account varying amounts each month / week / whatever. You have significantly less control.

Gyms usually take payments by direct debit.

In my experience the worst offenders and abusers of the direct debit scheme are........................................................

..............................gyms.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭seabre

Also it is fairly common for gyms to debit your account through your DEBIT CARD or LASER - Do you remember providing the long no on your card on your original application form?

It all very well saying you can just cancel the S/O but you may never have been paying them by S/o it may be the case that the gym are debiting your account via your laser card every month.

This is a lot harder to stop - you have to complete a "chargeback" form and there will be an investigation to prove that you have been charged without authorisation which depending on what you signed.......

Advertisement