Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cambelt rubbing on cover.

Options
  • 11-01-2012 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,869 ✭✭✭✭

I have a petrol freelander so it's the standard Rover K engine :eek:

I have just replaced 10 valves due to a cambelt tensioner failure. The engine started first time & runs well but the cambelt is rubbing on the inner (nearest to the engine) cover.

I have checked the alignment of the sprockets & they line up with the tensioner & there is nothing obvious causing the problem but the cambelt is tracking towards the cover. The cover can't go further back - it's flush with the head.

So do cambelts routinely touch the cover ?

Comments

Discodog wrote: »

So do cambelts routinely touch the cover ?

Nope, that will damage the belt and it won't last :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,869 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

RoverJames wrote: »
    Nope, that will damage the belt and it won't last :)

Yes that's what I thought. The odd thing is that I have changed the belt on this vehicle before & didn't have a problem.

Presumably last time though the cambelt wasn't rubbing on the inner cover? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,869 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

RoverJames wrote: »
    Presumably last time though the cambelt wasn't rubbing on the inner cover? :)

Yep & I can't see any reason why it is tracking towards the cover now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭swhyte027

Try put a washer on the bolt holding the cover on like put the washer on the bolt at the back of the plastic bit that comes in contact with the block in other words shimming the cover do its further away from the belt.i no it shouldn't be like that bit it might just be the position of the belt if what I said works and the belt is turning ok and Notting else wrong I'd be happy enough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

If the belt is tracking off center then one of the pulleys/guides it runs on has to be tilted off center. Perhaps missing a washer or fitted incorrectly. Did you use new bolts with the tensioner/guides for the belt?

Advertisement