Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

heating plugs

Options
  • 11-01-2012 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

I drive a renault megane and last night the heating light came up in her, the day when i was driving her she was losing power, like when i had full exceleration and in 5th gear she was only sitting at 60 mile an hour, could heating plugs do that to a car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

I don't know about the Megane specifically, but many diesel cars (eg Ford) use the glow plug light as an engine management fault indicator. You could check your owner manual to confirm if this is the case for the Megane.

It sounds to me that the car has (had?) an engine management problem and went into the limited power "limp home" mode.

Some very modern diesels (eg insignia) use the glow plugs when the engine is running for emissions control purposes, but most diesels use for startup only and shouldn't cause the problems you describe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭swhyte027

No no no the glow plug light is seperate.u could have two problems.1 being the glow plugs or glow plug relay.and the second being that the egr valve could be giving trouble.but I do no the Renault injectors andrew giving a lot of trouble at the moment but it could be any number of things.best get it plugged in and scanned or have one of us trusty mechanics check it over .i could name things all day hear to say what it might and might not be.but until I seen it r checked it out I couldn't be sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

As stated, on the dci engines the glow plug light is also a fault light for the injection system.

The glow plugs themselves, on a modern common rail engine, are normally only used on start up so would have no effect on the engine once running so its likely that you have an injector or other fuel delivery issue.

Proper diagnostics required.

Advertisement