Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone got a review or opinion on a honda civic type R 1.6 vtec

Options
  • 11-01-2012 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi so as above I'm looking into changing car, and am very interested in the Honda civic type r 1.6 vtec.
    What's your opinion on them?
    Are they spacious and safe... do they drive nice and smooth? Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Hi so as above I'm looking into changing car, and am very interested in the Honda civic type r 1.6 vtec.
    What's you're opinion on them?
    Are they spacious and safe... do they drive nice and smooth? Thanks in advance :)

They are a road legal track car.

If your asking about spaciousness, safety and smoothness.......its the wrong car for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭ek9er

They are a road legal track car.

If your asking about spaciousness, safety and smoothness.......its the wrong car for you.

Couldn't have said it better!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

What's your opinion on them?

Golf / Focus 1.6 might be more your thing given your criteria

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

ION08 wrote: »
    Golf / Focus 1.6 might be more your thing given your criteria

The focus 1.6?

I'd rather walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

which generation one would you be looking at?

EK Type R:
    ek9.jpg

OR

EP Typer R:honda-civic-type-r-ep3-515895.jpeg

I wont be able to offer much advice :P

EDIT: My bad, I think the second one is 2 litre? Much nicer looking imo...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

It's arguably one of the best of the TypeR's produced by Honda, the later ones are too refined and have forgotten their roots. It's very raw, the ride can be harsh, they are louder than your average 1.6 and they aren't slow.

I wouldn't reccommend one if you've not had any sort of performance car before, they aren't for the feint hearted

brembo26 wrote: »

EDIT: my bad, I think the second one is 2 litre?

Tis, she's a 2 litre K series engine, oh a relaible k series, not like that Rover ****e :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

If I were you I would go with the EP body, it is nice and modern, the EK is very dated but it has a double wishbone front and back as opposed to the McPherson front/Wishbone back of the EP which is meant to give better handeling. Leave the more modern spaceship version alone as it has some design flaws and is not as fun or comfortable to drive as the older models. I will be getting a Ep type R sometime next year.

Here is a good video of a comparison with simular cars.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6BTrKmyAAc

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Its hardly a supercharged Elise in all fairness, they are quite tame to drive (if not a little bit uncomfortable).

I've seen enough of them binned to know they can bite :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Tefral

Gary ITR wrote: »
    I've seen enough of them binned to know they can bite :)

Thats normally from people with few brain cells who think they are driving a formula 1 car.

Personally Ive driven all the VTEC Civics bar the newest one.
    I really like the 1.6 EK model as posted above. It has nice boot space, the seats are very comfortable.

The drive in them is hard, youll feel alot of bumps and buying second hand your more likely to end up with one with Coilovers than the normal suspension so its even harder again.

Saying that, they are great fun.

The downsides is that you will constantly have to worry about where you park it, insurance is huge on them and youll be branded a skanger by the the normal public and indeed the Gardai in general.

I honetly think everyone should look at owning a Honda Vtec at some point in their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Really like the EK model myself, cronin_j covered it all really though. It all depends what you want from a car.
    cronin_j wrote: »
    I honetly think everyone should look at owning a Honda Vtec at some point in their lives.

Totally agree! I never understood it til I got mine :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

If I were you I would go with the EP body, it is nice and modern, the EK is very dated but it has a double wishbone front and back as opposed to the McPherson front/Wishbone back of the EP which is meant to give better handeling. Leave the more modern spaceship version alone as it has some design flaws and is not as fun or comfortable to drive as the older models. I will be getting a Ep type R sometime next year.

Have you actually driven the newer model?
    Its hardly a supercharged Elise in all fairness, they are quite tame to drive (if not a little bit uncomfortable).
    Thats the clowns driving them!

Couldn't agree more. While they are fast for what they are, they aren't rocketships and if you have a bit of common sense you will be fine. However, I wouldn't like to crash one as they might aswell be made of cheese :pac:

OP, the first question thing you should do is contact your insurance company and see what the insurance is like. I have a feeling you will be very very badly surprised :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Funnily enough when you get them onto the track they seem a little on the slow side, they could do with more POWER, as clarkson would say. I would like to drive one with 300hp :)

What have you driven that you consider fast on the track?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭voojeq

EK all the way

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Great cars.
    Decent power, good handling, excellent engine noise.
    decent economy, decent tax, insurance can be hit and miss.

the biggest problem will be finding a clean unabused one because if you buy a lemon, you'll never sell it again!

Out of all my cars, rangine from 1.4 MG ZR's, to Evo's, to 4.4 V8's, my DC2 Integra Type R put the most smiles on my face :D

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭berrycherry

Id be going for the 1.6 model the newer civic... not the 2L version.... so insurance shouldn't be two bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭voojeq

my mate has this you are going for an EP with 1.6 vtec?

he said that he expected bit more from it so dont be dissapointed as its only a single cam not the dual like type r

voojeq wrote: »
    my mate has this you are going for an EP with 1.6 vtec?

he said that he expected bit more from it so dont be dissapointed as its only a single cam not the dual like type r

No I'm going for the 1.6 vtec type r :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

Id be going for the 1.6 model the newer civic... not the 2L version.... so insurance shouldn't be two bad.

The newer one is 2.0. The older one is the 1.6.

I suggest you do a bit of research before you start handing over your hard earned cash.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I just sold my 2002 Ep3 Civic Type R, I had it almost 6 years and its an absoltuely fantastic car, I could not recommend it enough. Especially now there are few better cars for the money, if this is the type of thing you are looking for. I never had any real problems with mine and I thrashed it around the place (well for the first few years of owning it anyway) I took it on trackdays and the guy who owned it before me took it to the nurburgring a few times as well. They are a savage drive when you threash it but you could let your granny run around town in it no problem. Practical, relatively economical, and looks nice. The only thing is they are hard to insure as they are a joyriders dream.

There is a beautiful one on adverts right now: http://www.adverts.ie/car/honda/civic/2003-honda-civic-for-sale/1014712

OP I had an EK 1.6 Type R before it and the Ep3 is streets ahead. Go drive one and see!

• Advertisement

You seem to be a bit confused

The 1.6 type R is the older EK model.

The 2.0 litre type R is the newer EP model.

If you are going for the newer type model, there is no 1.6 Type R's.

What you are more than likely looking at is a bog standard 1.6 model tarted up to look like the 2.0 type R model

Ignore, double post :D

Wait, wait, wait, hang on a minute.......so your not looking at Type R's at all, what your looking at is the Type S!
    Completely different ball game, so disregard everything said so far. Still a good car but no where near as good as what we have posted so far.

My GF had one from new for 5 years.

23.jpg

She racked up just under 30k in the 5 years, and only had to pay for routine servicing, nothing ever went wrong, as like most Honda's in fairness, had 110bhp but is a bit heavier than the EK model so not as nimble but overall a better car than the EK, better cabin, better gear position etc

I also had a 1.4 version for 6 months back in 2004

100_0008-1.jpg

stimpson wrote: »
    The newer one is 2.0. The older one is the 1.6.

I suggest you do a bit of research before you start handing over your hard earned cash.

I don't mean a bran spanking new one... i mean a 2002/2005 model. I've been on donedeal looking and there are 1.6 vtec type r models on there!

I don't mean a bran spanking new one... i mean a 2002/2005 model. I've been on donedeal looking and there are 1.6 vtec type r models on there!

No there aren't. Can you post a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

There is no 1.6 type R newer model Civics.

The 1.6 type R ran from 1996-2000. All later Type R's are 2.0.

Do you have any pics of the car your considering? I wonder is it one of the very common standard 1.6 civics with type R stickers on the side?

No there is not!
    there is no Type R available in the EP 2002-2005 model with a 1.6 engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

cronin_j wrote: »
    Thats normally from people with few brain cells who think they are driving a formula 1 car.

Personally Ive driven all the VTEC Civics bar the newest one.
    I really like the 1.6 EK model as posted above. It has nice boot space, the seats are very comfortable.

The drive in them is hard, youll feel alot of bumps and buying second hand your more likely to end up with one with Coilovers than the normal suspension so its even harder again.

Saying that, they are great fun.

The downsides is that you will constantly have to worry about where you park it, insurance is huge on them and youll be branded a skanger by the the normal public and indeed the Gardai in general.

That's why god created s2000 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭whippet

I don't mean a bran spanking new one... i mean a 2002/2005 model. I've been on donedeal looking and there are 1.6 with vtec type r stickers models on there!

fixed that for you

• Advertisement

Its a 1.6 VTEC type r replica... I've been looking at on donedeal.
    ???????? Anyone care to elaborate?

Advertisement