Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can you do a u-turn at a mini roundabout?

Options
  • 11-01-2012 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

Can someone tell me if legally you can go the whole way around a mini-roundabout?

If you were coming around it with your indicator on and you hit the side of a car pulling onto it would you be at fault?

I know that you should always try to avoid an accident as much as possible but if it did happen I'd like to know where I stand.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Yes you can!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

It wouldn't technically be a U-turn as it is on a roundabout, so nothing wrong with it I reckon. Unless there are some special rules for "mini" roundabouts that I don't know about.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Mini roundabouts should be treated the same as a full sized one. Nothing illegal about continuing around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You can, its a roundabout only smaller. I always am very careful going all the way round as people usually don't expect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

cornbb wrote: »
    It wouldn't technically be a U-turn as it is on a roundabout, so nothing wrong with it I reckon. Unless there are some special rules for "mini" roundabouts that I don't know about.

Thats what I was wondering, are they actually just normal roundabouts? or just to show who has right of way? or any special rules

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    Thats what I was wondering, are they actually just normal roundabouts? or just to show who has right of way? or any special rules

Both. The fact it's a roundabout determines who has right of way, whether there's a physical island in the middle or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

Páid wrote: »

In fairness thats an Irish driving school quoting UK road laws....lazy and bad form from them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Can someone tell me if legally you can go the whole way around a mini-roundabout?

If you were coming around it with your indicator on and you hit the side of a car pulling onto it would you be at fault?

I know that you should always try to avoid an accident as much as possible but if it did happen I'd like to know where I stand.

You know, you'd hit that car side on even if you were only turning right so the fact that you intend doing a u-turn doesn't really come in to it.

robbie99 wrote: »
    You know, you'd hit that car side on even if you were only turning right so the fact that you intend doing a u-turn doesn't really come in to it.

If the car is pulling on from the exit that he thinks you would be turning off from.

So if I came up on the first exit he thought I was going to come off on the last exit so he pulled out from the last exit so he pulled out and I continued back to the first exit and hit him. That would not happen if I turned right?

Also the way a lot of cars come up past the white line and stop as you are turning, forcing you to either let them go or hit into them, if you did hit them whose fault would that be?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

if you are on the roundabout and correctly indicating the other car should have given way to you and would be to blame for an accident if he didnt irrespective of where you hit him.

corktina wrote: »
    if you are on the roundabout and correctly indicating the other car should have given way to you and would be to blame for an accident if he didnt irrespective of where you hit him.

Even if you hit his rear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Yes, if he/she pulled out in front of you onto the roundabout and you havn't changed lane into him/her (not relevant on a mini)/indicated incorrectly that you were taking the exit fro which they emerged or something. You have right of way.

A lot of such accidents are however dealt with as 50 - 50's by insurance companies, once the word 'roundabout' is mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Even if you hit his rear?

If you hit his rear you surely would have had time to stop, regardelss of who is actually at fault. You're only doing a couple of KMH if U-turning.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Joe 90

In fact on a roundabout or joining just remember give way to the right That covers most of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

In fairness thats an Irish driving school quoting UK road laws....lazy and bad form from them!

I wouldn't blame them, since 99% of Irish laws seem to be a cut'n'paste job from a UK lawbook.
    Why waste time, brains, money and time coming up with laws when you can just google your neighbour and copy'n'paste.

i think it would be near impossible to hit the others guys rear given the angles involved...rear three quaters is a dirfferent matter

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

legally - yes, can my car - no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭✭heate

It's tricky in a lot of cars but totally legal
    Had an incident was driving sisters mini out in Dalkey (plenty ofvem there) and a gent in an Audi Q7 kept coming as I attempted this manoeuvre I dived for the kerb and he got a swift middle finger!
    Didn't stop him following me and getting out to have a 'natter' as I told him (admitatly some coloured language was used) claimed I was going to be reported for using profanities.
    Hilarious!

on our local mini the other day I follwed a car on to the rundabout that was indicating left and heading that way when he changed his mind and carried on across resulting in me overtaking him on the mini!

whateverthe rights and wrongs, youhave to take great care always

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

What if you drive this?

800px-Road_Train_Australia.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

What if you drive this?

800px-Road_Train_Australia.jpg

That's at least an original way to kill a thread stone dead :D:D:D:D:D

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Advertisement