Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler not staying on

Options
  • 11-01-2012 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I've a ferroli tempa 18 boiler. Over the last week or so its started to
    misbehave. When it first starts up I can hear the flame coming on, which
    stays on for a few seconds. It then goes off for a couple of seconds and
    then comes back on again, before going off again ! This cycle repeats 2 or
    3 times, and then the red fault light comes on.

If I then move the knob on the front to RESET (which according to the
    manual restarts the ignition sequence) then the boiler lights and stays lit.

Once the boiler has been lit for a while, then it comes back on without
    problems. Its only when its been off for 10 or 12 hours that I have this
    problem.

Any idea's as to what might be going on ? I know ferolli are not the most
    reliable as I've had to replace the PCB last year, but any suggestions would
    be appreciated.

Thanks,

Butters.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Hi,

problem.

be appreciated.

Thanks,

Butters.
    Could be a problem with thermocouple, basically you will need a RGI boiler service and repair man again anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 butterfingers2

Could be a problem with thermocouple, basically you will need a RGI boiler service and repair man again anyway.

Thanks for that. I'm going to get a guy to come out and look at it, I
    justed wanted to have some idea what the problem might be (and how
    much it would cost to fix !)

Thanks,

Butters.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

there is a central heating temp sensor on them that often needs to be replaced.you can only get them in pack of 2 for 40 euro ish.that would be my blind guess as have replaced a few on same model

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 butterfingers2

gdavis wrote: »
    there is a central heating temp sensor on them that often needs to be replaced.you can only get them in pack of 2 for 40 euro ish.that would be my blind guess as have replaced a few on same model

Thanks for the suggestion. I've a guy coming out to look at it so I'll mention
    that to him.

Butters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jdennigan

Hi

I have a ferroli tempra 30 and something similar was happening with us. The boiler would be switched on and the flame would light but after 8 minutes the flame would go out, the boiler wouldn't shut down but wouldn't be functioning, I'd reset it and it would light again but only for a few seconds and switch off again. I had a technican out to look at it and he thought it was a thermistor but that didnt resolve the problem, he now thinks its the PCB, is it common for PCB in this type of boiler to go- its about 9 years old. Should I get a new PCB or look into a new boiler .?

Thanks a mill

John
    Hi,

problem.

be appreciated.

Thanks,

Butters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 jdennigan

Ferrolli tempra 30
    Hi

I have a ferroli tempra 30 and something similar was happening with us. The boiler would be switched on and the flame would light but after 8 minutes the flame would go out, the boiler wouldn't shut down but wouldn't be functioning, I'd reset it and it would light again but only for a few seconds and switch off again. I had a technican out to look at it and he thought it was a thermistor but that didnt resolve the problem, he now thinks its the PCB, is it common for PCB in this type of boiler to go- its about 9 years old. Should I get a new PCB or look into a new boiler .?

Thanks a mill

J

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

jdennigan wrote: »
    Ferrolli tempra 30
    Hi

Thanks a mill

J
    If you can afford a new boiler get one , ferroli are rubbish with expensive parts

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

ive had a tempra 18 for 9 years now and never replaced a part on it,i guess I got a good one! ur rgi should have been able to fault find the problem and not "think" it might be pcb because changing thermistor didn't work!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

PCB's are a common enough fault on Ferrolis. They can be very expensive also. I agree with Sullz, the RGI should be able to narrow down the fault with multi-meter quite easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

Get rgi to check minimum and ignition pressures , had lots of calls to tempras with this problem . Values are increased via potentiometers on board and not through gas valve adjustment screw . Also check Venturi , sounds like it's knocking off when it goes into high fire, quick test is to remove combustion door cover and see if it stays running , venturis are always the first port of call on tempras for me. Failing that hire a skip , cut your losses and get rid before it becomes a money pit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Egass13 wrote: »
    Get rgi to check minimum and ignition pressures , had lots of calls to tempras with this problem . Values are increased via potentiometers on board and not through gas valve adjustment screw . Also check Venturi , sounds like it's knocking off when it goes into high fire, quick test is to remove combustion door cover and see if it stays running , venturis are always the first port of call on tempras for me. Failing that hire a skip , cut your losses and get rid before it becomes a money pit

I know your new here , but I'd refrain from giving too much info on gas boiler repairs to the public , especially removing combustion door covers .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Egass13 wrote: »
    Get rgi to check minimum and ignition pressures , had lots of calls to tempras with this problem . Values are increased via potentiometers on board and not through gas valve adjustment screw . Also check Venturi , sounds like it's knocking off when it goes into high fire, quick test is to remove combustion door cover and see if it stays running , venturis are always the first port of call on tempras for me. Failing that hire
    a skip , cut your losses and get rid before it becomes a money pit

Its a criminal offence for non RGII to open or attempt to solve problem on gas boiler. I wish it was also so on oil. We know you ment well Egass.
    This message is for the client.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

sullzz wrote: »
    I know your new here , but I'd refrain from giving too much info on gas boiler repairs to the public , especially removing combustion door covers .

Sorry I was actually suggesting it if he had an rgi looking at the boiler that was perhaps not too familiar with the make / model , point taken though and I'll try to word my posts better in the future , rookie mistake !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

gdavis wrote: »
    ive had a tempra 18 for 9 years now and never replaced a part on it,i guess I got a good one! ur rgi should have been able to fault find the problem and not "think" it might be pcb because changing thermistor didn't work!!

Be very carefull. I said that about my Vokera this year and then the heat exchanger blocked up on it.:o

Advertisement