Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crate Training

Options
  • 11-01-2012 11:01am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi all,

So started my 3 year old Bichon in the Crate Sunday night, first night he was grand started whining a bit just ignored him, the last few nights he’s been unbearable though I've had him in the box room beside my room, so last night i thought I’ll put him in the kitchen to drown out the noise to which made him worse and completely terrified the barking, scratching and crying started straight away. I tried earplugs, which didn’t help. I couldn’t sleep through it at all. Also my housemate had friends over late!! which didn’t help as they kept disturbing him. In the end I just put the crate in my room, which calmed him down a bit. He was still a bit upset but when I said, “stop” or “I’m here” he calmed down and I finally got some sleep at last. Anyone had similar problems re crate training and am I doing the right thing keeping him in it in my room for the moment. I went to bed in tears last night listening to him I feel very cruel doing this to him in a way but he needs discipline. Any advice welcomed :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 popsicklegirl

Hi ,
    firstly, did you put a cover over the top of the crate so that it feels more secure for the dog. I had my two dogs in separate crates in my bedroom and they were absolutely fine so if it doesn't bother you having him there , I'd say let him sleep in your room. There's lots of info on the net too if you just type in crate training your puppy/dog.
    :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭SineadMarie

Sorry what do you mean a cover, its funny you say that as i was reading online, not to put too many blankets in his bed when hes in the crate, i put one of his blankets on the top of the crate instead, would that do or can you actually buy covers for them?? I'd like him to eventually get used to sleeping downstairs at the moment its fine but i could be moving in with my bf next year and i don't think he'd like it too much. For a longtime he was sleeping on my bed with me which was leading to bad behavior, plus it wasn't fair on him if i had company over and he was kicked out! I just really want him to get used to sleeping in his own bed, if i could do it without the crate i would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

When our little guy gets restless at night, and it isn't the I need out cry, we cover his crate with a towel, and it calms him instantly. I think it just makes it more cave like, deadens any outside sounds and light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I'm not sure you're going about it the right way. You need to build up his time in the crate and he has to feel like it's a good place to be. You can't just shut him in. You can start with him sleeping in the crate in your room but then move the crate gradually further and further away from your room until he's sleeping downstairs.

Download the doggie den section here http://petcentral.yolasite.com/printables.php

If your crate is like this one http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_cages_carriers/carriers/metal_cages_and_boxes/129680

then if you put an old sheet or throw etc over the top so that it hangs down over the sides as well, then the dog feels more secure . if you want the dog to sleep in another room then you will have to be persistent and not give in to the crying. It's hard and requires a lot of patience but you can do it.

• Advertisement

Toulouse is right; when I first introduced a crate to my dogs, I left it open in the lounge for about a week and I put toys and treats in there and even fed them in there once or twice. By the time I brought the crates upstairs, they absolutely loved them and would just go up and get into their crate if there was something going on that they didn't want to be part of or just to have a nap.

Thanks guys..i actually place his bed in the crate during the day when I'm in work and leave the door open, left it in the boxroom this morning, maybe better off leaving it downstairs?? As regards toys and treats have done all that i also leave a jumper I've been wearing the previous day in it too. Read that helps. Will try the blanket over it too. I don't mind him being in the crate in my room i would like to gradually move him downstairs though i just hope it works and he'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You could maybe try some dap spray or a plug in to help him settle? With my guy I fed his meals in Kongs to get him used to the crate. Also this time (he was on crate rest) I put the crate up in the sitting room and put his bedding in it a few weeks before the op so he'd sleep in it and get used to it with the door open so you could maybe try this - say sit watching TV with him in the crate and build it up. I also put a throw off my bed in it and a snugglesafe pad and he loved to snooze on it - I had the pad at one end of the crate so he could move to the other end if he got too warm. Once you build up the time and then stick to a routine of getting him settled i'm sure you'll be fine!

Yea im after buy one of those Kong things online, do you just put treats in it?? Dap spray could i buy them online or a petstore?? I was thinking i might buy him another bed/cushion for him to chill on if im in the sitting room say! Or would i be better just sticking to the crate and original bed??

Advertisement