Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two dogs and a ball...

Options
  • 11-01-2012 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

Seeking to thank the poster who way before Christmas started a thread re a dog making a fool of him by refusing the bring the ball back. THANK YOU!

I was not fit to walk the dogs that day and the same many days since and it reminded me of the times when wee dog was small before we had collie and when we were in a house where walking the dog was hard. Surrounded by sheep and with an unfenced track to the narrow lanes...

It was then I remembered seeking to take a dog from a rescue and telling them I was concerned as disability makes it hard to exercise a dog adequately. Dave ( LAW) told me that dogs do not need long walks, that as long as I could throw a ball I could exercise a dog fully.

And those months in that cottage that was so. Up and down wee dog raced happily, in between racing round with a plantpot on her head. As long as I could throw a ball, she would fetch it.

SO that December day, out came a ball and wonderful times.... I had forgotten the degree of interaction with me that this game involves. She has all the attention, eye to eye, hand to hand, and in that she is in total bliss. Laughing face... leaping and running...
    I had truly forgottten than extra bonding.

Collie will not chase a ball, but she chases wee dog trying to round her up and after ten minutes both are panting and smiling. And if she sees the ball lying around now, she stops, noses it and looks up at me.

So now on days I am not able for walks in the fields, and b efore their last feed, out we go on the long drive and play ball. It gets me out in the air too.

Wondering how many older folk think they cannot have the pleasure of a dog and the companionship because they cannot walk far... Wise man, Dave at LAW!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭callmekenneth

Graces7 wrote: »
    Collie will not chase a ball, but she chases wee dog trying to round her up and after ten minutes both are panting and smiling. And if she sees the ball lying around now, she stops, noses it and looks up at me.

this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

OP, did you get yourself a tennis ball thrower ;) it will double the distance wee dog and follower have to run for little or no effort on your part.

I use one ball with 2 dogs on some walks for a different reason. We have several dogs but the most active are a JRT type and a huge GSD x, the GSD x loves the ball but also likes chasing the JRT x so as soon as the JRT x starts to get fed up with that out comes the ball and harmony is maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OP, did you get yourself a tennis ball thrower ;) it will double the distance wee dog and follower have to run for little or no effort on your part.

I use one ball with 2 dogs on some walks for a different reason. We have several dogs but the most active are a JRT type and a huge GSD x, the GSD x loves the ball but also likes chasing the JRT x so as soon as the JRT x starts to get fed up with that out comes the ball and harmony is maintained.

That sounds good; where might I get one of those, please?

Wee dog is JRT x Bassett and is permanently wired so that game is great for her. I am humbled by the utter delight of the dog when I pick the ball up. It takes so little to give them pleasure. Just interaction with us.

That sounds good; where might I get one of those, please?

Wee dog is JRT x Bassett and is permanently wired so that game is great for her. I am humbled by the utter delight of the dog when I pick the ball up. It takes so little to give them pleasure. Just interaction with us.

I get them in the local pound type shop for 3euro I googled and found this link at amazon.co.uk http://www.amazon.co.uk/DOG-BALL-THROWER-PAW-PRINT/dp/B001I0RM3O which is exactly the same just a bit more expensive.

If you have any trouble bending they are also very good because you can use them to pick the ball up by pushing the holder down on the ball, also reduces the amount of sog saliva you have to handle ;)

I buy proper tennis balls for the dogs as they last lots longer than the more expensive "cheap" tennis balls in the pet shop and pound shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I get them in the local pound type shop for 3euro I googled and found this link at amazon.co.uk http://www.amazon.co.uk/DOG-BALL-THROWER-PAW-PRINT/dp/B001I0RM3O which is exactly the same just a bit more expensive.

If you have any trouble bending they are also very good because you can use them to pick the ball up by pushing the holder down on the ball, also reduces the amount of sog saliva you have to handle ;)

I buy proper tennis balls for the dogs as they last lots longer than the more expensive "cheap" tennis balls in the pet shop and pound shops.

for the laughter, thank you! Love that phrase!

• Advertisement

for the laughter, thank you! Love that phrase!

It was a typo that just fitted in so I left it.

Advertisement