Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos Faulty TV

Options
  • 11-01-2012 2:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I bought a Samsung le40c530 on the 3rd October 2010 costing me near enough €600, as of last night the screen goes black after about 30 seconds, there's still sound but no picture. I have tried it on different sources, HDM1,scart and the rest and it keeps happening. Im aware the 12month guarantee is out cause i have had the tv just over 15months, but it is completely useless without any picture. Surely a tv should last longer than this? What are my rights? What can I do? Thank you for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

What do you mean what are your rights?
    your rights are 1 year warranty which is over.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

shblob wrote: »
    Ignore the above poster ignorance regarding consumer laws and lets move on to the issue.

The warranty of 12 months is in addition to your legal rights (in essence a warranty simply makes it easier to get things done but your rights don't end with the warranty). As per Irish consumer goods legislation in short a item has to be in working (merchantable) condition and last for a reasonble amount of time (there is no definition for reasonable but it does include expected wear and tear, cost of product, any faults pointed out etc. being taken into account) of up to 6 years (important word is "up to", everything is not expected to last 6 years).Now, that's purely from a legal perspective on the consumer law.

Now to your issue; you have a good ground to get the item repaired (most likely alternative), replaced or refunded (also known as the 3 Rs). To be able to get this ball rolling you'll need to contact the Argus store or customer support (can't recall if they got a phone line or not) and make them aware that your TV has developed a fault (and such notification has to be done in a timely manner, i.e. you can't wait a year to tell them there is a fault). Due to the size (40") they may simply send a repairman out to your house rather then have you bring it to their store. Argos are also in general very good with consumer rights and refunds etc. so I'd not be to worried about it. Simply stay calm, state what have happened, when you bought it etc. and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

shblob wrote: »

This is incorrect information.

Under Irish Consumer Law, you are entitled to expect a reasonable lifetime from a product, assuming normal wear and tear, and no user damage.

It's pretty fair to say that a TV should last more than a year, so you are entitled to go back to Argos and seek a refund/replacement/repair. (Please note that the law does not prefer one option over another, the option offered should be reasonale to both parties). On the other hand, Argos are also reasonably entitled to inspect the product to make sure that the damage isn't due to user error.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Can only add that your contract is with Argos & not Samsung. It's up to yourself & Argos to resolve this issue. If they tell you to contact Samsung yourself I would decline this initially as they have more power in that sort of conversation.
    If this is sent for repair I would try my hand at getting a replacement TV as I think all Samsungs are sent to UK for repair and generally take a while.

ETA : I have used this with 2 TV's myself and a laptop from Argos, 1 TV & the laptop were replaced, the other TV was repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭number_1

Adding to the information above, EU Directive 1999/44/EC states that a two year guarantee applies for the sale of all new consumer goods everywhere in the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Poppy_Red

Thank you all for your help. I am off to argos tomorrow to try and sort it, fingers crossed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

number_1 wrote: »
    Adding to the information above, EU Directive 1999/44/EC states that a two year guarantee applies for the sale of all new consumer goods everywhere in the EU.

And that is enacted in Ireland where......

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

slave1 wrote: »
    And that is enacted in Ireland where......

Doesnt matter, Irish sale of goods act supercedes and offers more protection than that eu directive.

As far as I recall, certain aspectives of that Directive were adopted in a Statutory Instrument. Other aspects weren't, as Irish consumer law offers more protection. I need re-read the material to be sure, but I think the 2 year guarantee portion wasn't enacted as Irish law is stronger.

If I'm wrong on this, please correct.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Agree with both the previous posters that Irish law offers more protection that that directive and I also don't think it was enacted for that reason.

It does matter however, as otherwise folk will read the two year limit and may not know about their additional Irish enacted rights after the expiry of year two.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭number_1

dudara wrote: »
    As far as I recall, certain aspectives of that Directive were adopted in a Statutory Instrument. Other aspects weren't, as Irish consumer law offers more protection. I need re-read the material to be sure, but I think the 2 year guarantee portion wasn't enacted as Irish law is stronger.

If I'm wrong on this, please correct.

The whole point of the directive is to provide a minimum basic level of consumer protection across all states in the EU, with each member state being able to implement even stronger levels of protection beyond the scope of the directive. This is the case in Ireland where Statutory Instrument 11 of 2003 added the elements not already covered by Irish law, with the elements already in place exceeding the protections required by the directive. So basically seeing as the original poster made their purchase less than 16 months ago, they can be assured that under both European and Irish law they are covered. Beyond 24 months they would also be covered as Irish law provides stronger protections than the EU Directive.

I'll ignore the troll's posts. If they want a reply they can start posting constructively.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭treeminder

I'm in a similar situation to this guy with a faulty argos tv except i don't have a receipt. what can i do?

treeminder You already have your own thread for your issue. No need to bring up other threads.

Closed

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement