Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Star Trek / Sci-fi club in Dublin?

Options
  • 11-01-2012 1:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭

Anyone remember a club in town (ie Dublin city centre) that used to show new Star Trek episodes before they'd aired in Ireland? I'm not sure who was operating it but there was one fella who used to get new ep's recorded in the USA and posted to him. He'd then book a room in a hotel/pub and charge punters a few quid to sit in and watch around 4 or so episodes per session.

There used to be a meet up every 2 weeks or so on a Saturday afternoon either in the Clifton Court (eden quay) or Wynns hotel (middle abbey st).

The mainly showed TNG, DS9, VOY and Xfiles and Bab5 but I also remember a few other sci-fi shows get a screening (but not too often as there seemed to be little interest in them).

I'm just looking over the list of old ST episode airdates and based on the dates I reckon I was a frequent attendee between late 1993 to around mid 1996. After that I seem to have stopped going (don't know why, maybe I just lost interest I suppose) but I guess the club was still going after that.

Does this ring a bell for anyone else here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Was it called "Sha Ka Ree" club or something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

Can't remember the name but I went a few times myself to the Wynns hotel.

Advertisement