Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda hr-v 1.6 1999-2005 what do you think of them???

Options
  • 11-01-2012 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi.... so I'm thinking of buying one, and was interested to hear opinions on them. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

2wd or 4wd? Both are heavy enough on juice as the 1.6 struggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭berrycherry

4wd.
    what are they like for handling and safety. Are they nice to drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

4wd.
    what are they like for handling and safety. Are they nice to drive?

supposed to be great to drive

not sure what the safety rating would be..maybe google it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Drove 3 of them a few years ago. They were a silly price second hand back then so didn't buy but this is what I recall:
    Early engines were not Vtec, would be worth getting a Vtec engine if you could for a bit more power.
    Not as big inside as you would think. The 5door models are slightly longer though.
    They drive pretty much like a car, one of the ones I test drove had 100k miles on it and it was still nice and tight to drive.

The 4wd on them is grand (disclaimer - I don't have much experience of 4wd), it's a nice simple system that shouldn't give much trouble (as opposed to a Freelander say). It's not a super duper intelligent system but it steps in when it's needed. Do a few tight figures of 8 in a car park when you test drive - any grinding, dragging or moaning from the back means it needs the diff fluid changed. That's a small job really. If it was loud it could be knackered but I don't think thats very common.

Slightly odd tyre size (205/70/15 I think), you'd be talking 95 - 110 euro per tyre for decent tyres I'd say.

If you can stomach the extra tax, the CRV is a bigger bus, but probably gets a similar MPG. The first CRV was designed before the HRV, so the HRV might have better safety features.

There were a good few Jap import HRVs, avoid the automatic ones. Jap imports may not have immobilisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭berrycherry

Thanks guys you've been very helpful!
    i would go for the crv but don't want anything above 1.6 for financial reasons... thanks again

• Advertisement
Advertisement