Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should I do a wheeler dealer job on this car?

Options
  • 10-01-2012 11:54pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A mate of mine has a 1996 BMW 316i that has been off the road for a few months since he got a new car. He has offered it to me for €400 as I need a car for a few weeks until I get my new car. I was thinking of taking it, getting it back on the road and fixed up, and hopefully sell it to make a few quid.

So it's 1996, 4 Doors, Silver, 85k, it has leather seats and it's Automatic. Few things need doing to it: Needs a service, oil change etc, the exhaust mount has come lose, that needs fixing. The brakes are a bit soft I think the lines might need bleeding. Not much apart from that, the bodywork is in good condition apart from one scratch on the rear door.

Do you guys think I would be able to at least make my money back on this car, if not even make a few quid? I need something to drive for the next month - but am I better off taxing it and getting a date for the NCT, driving it and selling it as is, or would I be safe enough doing a 'wheeler dealers' on it?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,438 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I can't see an asthmatic automatic 16 year old beemer being worth much more than what he's asking tbh.

you may break even, or you might throw good money after bad. I can't see you making money out if it anyway.

Assuming it's NCT-less

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Depends, would you be able to do most of the things it needs yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I bought a Mazda 323f that was on the way to the scrapper for beer money yesterday,40 quid later and its test ready today.

So much easily repaired stuff is being scrapped needlessly.

You have to do all the work yourself though to make it worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Id do the minimum to get it through the test, drive it for as long as needed, then sell.
    There is nothing special about the car that would make it worthwhile doing a real tidy up on it IMO. It is a 316 after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭YBTurbo

To put things into reality, I can buy a 318is Coupe for not much more than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Might be worth while to spend a few quid on it, get it tested and drive it. But spending money on it to sell wont make you anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Surely that's worth more than €400 with an NCT done?

Only 85k miles, leather interior and NCT should make you at least a little profit, assuming its in good shape all round. How much its gonna cost you to pass an NCT is the question.

Advertisement