Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Certificate of Road Worthiness - Crashed Car

Options
  • 10-01-2012 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭

A few weeks back somebody crashed into my car. The door and the wing had to be replaced. The insurance company got involved but I never claimed. I was told I had to provide a certificate of road worthiness at the renewal date. All the information I can find on this is about commercial vehicles.

The car is in the body shop at the moment? Can they issue the certificate or how do I get one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

bren2001 wrote: »
    A few weeks back somebody crashed into my car. The door and the wing had to be replaced. The insurance company got involved but I never claimed. I was told I had to provide a certificate of road worthiness at the renewal date. All the information I can find on this is about commercial vehicles.

The car is in the body shop at the moment? Can they issue the certificate or how do I get one?

correct me if i am wrong but would the certificate of road worthiness not be the nct cert

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭bren2001

smokin ace wrote: »
    correct me if i am wrong but would the certificate of road worthiness not be the nct cert

No. Insurance company said they would not accept that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I had a similar problem a few years back, Paschal Kennedy motors in Dún Laoghaire examined the car and filled out the form for €100. I'd expect it to be cheaper nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 merc609

Is it a engineers report that they are looking for? For work done to the car after accident maybe?:confused:

merc609 wrote: »
    Is it a engineers report that they are looking for? For work done to the car after accident maybe?:confused:

Yep. Can the workshop I'm getting the work done in give me this or do I have to get it elsewhere? I am a student Engineer myself and some of the people in my year are level 7 engineers can they sign the report?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 merc609

As far as im aware it would have to be from a garage which deals with insurance work but not 100% on that. Its more or less a mechanic to check it out to make sure all the work done is up to scratch...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Buffman

but I never claimed. I was told I had to provide a certificate of road worthiness at the renewal date.

Ok, so you never claimed off them, and now the won't except your NCT to renew your insurance.

I'd tell them where to shove their renewal, there are plenty more insurance companies who'd love to take your cash. Get ringing around and you'll most likely get a cheper quote elsewhere.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭fletch

merc609 wrote: »

Yep. Can the workshop I'm getting the work done in give me this or do I have to get it elsewhere? I am a student Engineer myself and some of the people in my year are level 7 engineers can they sign the report?
    Without sounding smart why not ask the garage. I'm sure they'll know if they can do the report or not

Buffman wrote: »
    Ok, so you never claimed off them, and now the won't except your NCT to renew your insurance.

I'd tell them where to shove their renewal, there are plenty more insurance companies who'd love to take your cash. Get ringing around and you'll most likely get a cheper quote elsewhere.

I have not actually got the chance to ring another insurance company (college exams next week) but I was told by my insurance company that I would have to give anybody else the cert anyway. So i dont know if its that simple, hopefully it is.
    fletch wrote: »
    Without sounding smart why not ask the garage. I'm sure they'll know if they can do the report or not

If I had the number I would but its my girlfriends mams boyfriend (who used to run a garage selling second hand cars) panel beater but he is currently in Gran Canaria and is phone is broken so I can't actually call him to get the number for the panel beater doing the work. Its quite ridiculous to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

123.ie wanted an engineers report (long story) i asked them exactly what they needed and as long as it was on any garage's headed paper, signed and stamped, they were happy.

p.s. i say garage, but really it was any mechanic with headed paper would have done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement