Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Used Audi A3 - Would you buy? At what price?

Options
  • 10-01-2012 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at a particular Audi A3. Grey, 2004, 140k miles, 2.0 ltr tdi, 140bhp, 3 door. Full service history with new cam belt, clutch and flywheel 6 months ago and a service in december. Alloy wheels and good condition inside and out and viewing and test driving the car.

The thing i am worried about is the miles, would you buy this car? What price range?

I've been told that the 1.9 ltr engine is much superior to the 2.0. What do you think? bit clueless here! :(

Thanks in advance for any replies!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Well the injectors should actually be ok on that, plus the oil pump problems are not an issue for A3s. Check out the service history and gearbox. It should be priced according to the mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

If you want an A3, buy a Golf or an Octavia. The same car for less money. The 2.0 PD TDI is not engine I would recommend to anyone who thinks reliability is even remotely important.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

EPM wrote: »
    Well the injectors should actually be ok on that, plus the oil pump problems are not an issue for A3s. Check out the service history and gearbox. It should be priced according to the mileage.

Is there an known problem with these gearboxes, what should i be looking for?

Could you explain the injector problem and why it should be ok on this car?

Is it only the A4s that have the oil pump problem?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 73,438 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The a3 has its appeal, the Octavia may share a platform, but it isn't as 'nice'
    It usually won't appeal to your typical 3 door A3 driver,

If you want an A3, buy a Golf or an Octavia. The same car for less money. The 2.0 PD TDI is not engine I would recommend to anyone who thinks reliability is even remotely important.

What reliability issues? Any VAG with the Siemens injectors are now subject to a recall. If it's got the Bosch solenoid ones it should be ok. New clutch, flywheel. Some of the main diesel downfall items there. With injectors covered its a reliable choice.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The a3 has its appeal, the Octavia may share a platform, but it isn't as 'nice'
    It usually won't appeal to your typical 3 door A3 driver,

A3 interior is a much nicer place to spend time imo if that floats your boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Ya wondering myself about that 2.0 tdi as I am after a Passat and most seem to have the 2.0 now in the 07/8 range.

What reliability issues? Any VAG with the Siemens injectors are now subject to a recall. If it's got the Bosch solenoid ones it should be ok. New clutch, flywheel. Some of the main diesel downfall items there. With injectors covered its a reliable choice.

So injectors aren't an issue in this car?

The price is £3,000, i think its a good deal and can't find a like for like golf for the same price!

Oil pump failure?

What about the oil pump failing?

Only on the transverse mounted engines afaik.

• Advertisement

Only on the transverse mounted engines afaik.

And what kind of engine layout does anything on the PQ35 platform (A3/Golf etc) have:)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

2.0tdi with the bkd engine code doesn't suffer f4om oil pump issues as it , the oil pump hasn't got a balancer shaft. I've a bkd with 160k on seems like a good engine to me at least.

Btw i havent changed anything on my car except oil(LOTS) & belts and i drive it fairly hard.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    2.0tdi with the bkd engine code doesn't suffer f4om oil pump issues as it , the oil pump hasn't got a balancer shaft. I've a bkd with 160k on seems like a good engine to me at least.

It looks like the BKD engine code was the only A3 engine made in the years '03 '04 and '05 so this car won't suffer from this problem.

Can anyone else confirm this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_A3#Engines_2

Btw i havent changed anything on my car except oil(LOTS) & belts and i drive it fairly hard.

Did you get the injector recall yet on yours? I had a call about diesel pipes and they said some are getting injectors too. Official skoda Ireland recall. Presume yours is the same unless using Bosch ones.

Did you get the injector recall yet on yours? I had a call about diesel pipes and they said some are getting injectors too. Official skoda Ireland recall. Presume yours is the same unless using Bosch ones.
    How would one tell if they are siemens or bosch injectors?

Best way is ring a dealer with the cars details. They should be able to tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭passarellaie

Best way is ring a dealer with the cars details. They should be able to tell you.
    or go to your local motor factor with the reg

No recall on bkd injectors iirc, it just wont break!

No recall on bkd injectors iirc, it just wont break!

How bad!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭✭heate

It's a fine car OP far nicer to sit in than an octavia and is cosier than a mkIV golf.
    I'd pay as little as possible 140k miles perhaps €5kish.
    You may note that t that milage the interior should be holding up well and there should be a limited amount of on the go rattles

• Registered Users Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

We had a 2004 A3 2.0Tdi on fleet that went up to 195,000km before it came back.

Just had a look through the history and there is no note of any breakdown's, but the EML did come on a couple of times. No notes as to cause/solution though.

Radiator fan was replaced at 136k and the Air Con compressor was replaced around 170k. Except for that it's only standard servicing & tyres - no note of a clutch replacement either.

I collected that off the driver when he got his new car, and it was pulling like a train.

Excellent info. There's a similar thread at the moment on another vag forum but it's not as concise as that.

Advertisement