Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Certified collages

Options
  • 10-01-2012 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

Hi guys
    I have decided to do a distance learning degree in computing and am looking at collages at home(Ireland) and abroad. What I was wondering was is there a body that you can check with that can certify the collage and the degree you receive from them will be recognized. There are a ball of degree courses out there but the thought of doing 3/4 years and then finding out it's not recognized is something that has to be taken into account. any help would be appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

the GALL wrote: »
    Hi guys
    I have decided to do a distance learning degree in computing and am looking at collages at home(Ireland) and abroad. What I was wondering was is there a body that you can check with that can certify the collage and the degree you receive from them will be recognized. There are a ball of degree courses out there but the thought of doing 3/4 years and then finding out it's not recognized is something that has to be taken into account. any help would be appreciated thanks.

Oscail.ie does IT, it is delivered by DCU.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

Cheers for that
    I rang them yesterday and after a half hour of waiting I got through to an answering machine:eek: anyway I'm still waiting on them to get back to me but what I'm thinking of doing is a degree course with a university abroad maybe US/AUS/SA but before I sign up I would like to know if there is a gov an agency that has a list of international collages that are certified and that the degrees they issue are recognized. A friend of mine has done a degree with a south African Uni it cost her €3000 for an honors degree(over 3 years) distance learning and secured a job as a teacher here in Ireland. When you compare the price to what is been charged here in Ireland for the same result it seems like a no brainer. whats your thoughts on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,131 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you get a degree abroad and want to go into teaching you have to have the degree approved by the Teaching Council. They need all the info about the course and your results and will charge for the approval.

They will not tell you ahead of time whether the course you hope to do would be approved after you have done it. (Yes, I know, but that's it)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

Cheers for that

It's not to teach in Ireland It's to get out of Ireland and go to Aus or the US with a degree. I've done my time here and am looking for better for my family. I don't want my little one to go through what I went through in the 80's. I know that probably sounds sh1tty but there ya go, ya gotta look after your own and all that.

Advertisement