Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trailer licence (eb) lessons?

Options
  • 10-01-2012 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

just wondering if i need to get lessons before doing a test for a trailer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

That depends, are you any good at towing / reversing with a trailer? It might be no harm in getting one or two so you know what will be expected of you during the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Ive done the test, and was very experienced with trailers beforehand. But it was still worth doing a couple of lessons to root out bad habits, and to get a heads up on the questions you will be asked. (Tyre pressures, weight limit for your vehicle etc.). Always something that catches the unprepared!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 offwego89

yeah was thinking of doing some but do you know if it is a requirement before sitting the test like with the full car test?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 offwego89

That depends, are you any good at towing / reversing with a trailer? It might be no harm in getting one or two so you know what will be expected of you during the test.

i have been driving and reversing 8m boat trailers in and out of the water and transporting them ( all on private land and slip) but will get lessons for driving with bigger weights on the public roads. with regards to trailer driving ive been doing it on a daily basis with work and for recreation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 POCKET.ROCKET.

I sat the trailer test B+E in May of last year after towing a trailer daily for 7 years. Although I thought I knew everything I needed to tow a trailer legally, the advice I learnt from the trailer lessons was invaluable. The most important aspect from the lessons that was drilled into me, was the importance of observation, and the sequence of procedures that the test examiner requires from you.

A few unknow procedures that I was required to undertake were if I was parked a stop position facing down a hill, I needed to move off in second gear.

You are not allowed to jump over the drawbar of the trailer when carrying out your safety checks, such as checking the trailer doors are secure, tyres and wheel nuts are OK, the correct procedure for uncoupling and recoupling of the trailer to the vehicle, etc etc.

Good luck.

Plus the driving instructer should 'beat' any bad habits out of you - ie, your general lack of observation, use of mirror, indicators, excessive speed, gear selection, tailgating etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭db330

a little of topic here, but the new towing car is an auto but i did my test in a manual so if i do the test in the auto would i be licienced to tow in a manual too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Dont think the transmission type matters here as its supplementary to your existing B license, but best to ask. As for the tow car - What vehicle is it out of interest - as you are only permitted to to an EB test in a Van or 4x4 (with an enclosed trailer that restricts view from the rear view mirror if registered after 2004)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

A little off topic but did this not used to be automatically added to your licence in the past?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Pique wrote: »
    A little off topic but did this not used to be automatically added to your licence in the past?

Yep, don't know when that finished

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

mmcn90 wrote: »

Ages ago and quite rightly. Big trailers require totally different driving to a car or a car and light trailer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Thread moved

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭db330

TrailerBob wrote: »
    Dont think the transmission type matters here as its supplementary to your existing B license, but best to ask. As for the tow car - What vehicle is it out of interest - as you are only permitted to to an EB test in a Van or 4x4 (with an enclosed trailer that restricts view from the rear view mirror if registered after 2004)

it's an 05 commercial pajero, i'd be towing my own box trailer too (which i have been doing for the last 3 years 750kg empty)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

db330 wrote: »
    (which i have been doing for the last 3 years 750kg empty)

Afaik once the design spec of the trailer can carry more than 750kg you need the EB. Doesnt matter what weight it is, or how much you have on it. If less then a B will do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Del2005 wrote: »
    mmcn90 wrote: »

Ages ago and quite rightly. Big trailers require totally different driving to a car or a car and light trailer.

Completely agree, giving the eb licence automatically was madness

Advertisement