Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can i tax my car?

Options
  • 10-01-2012 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭

I bought it yesterday and naturally the ownership paperwork is still in the pipeline. it was imported from N.I. in november.

i know the car has never been taxed in ireland before and also doesn't have an NCT either, however and the gardai are on the N11 most mornings using ANPR and i really dont want the hassle/ embarrasment/ fines/ potential points that this can bring on.

what efforts can i make, or is there a way to tax or book an NCT before the paperwork arrives in my name?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭GL scrappy

When I imported a car a few years ago, I was able to tax it online using the last 6 digits of the vin no. as the pin. This might not work for your car if the ownership has changed since import, but it's worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Has VRT been paid on the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

You might be able to request the PIN online if the change has gone through, but the new form has not been sent out yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

If the VRT has been paid (car on Irish plates) use the last 6 digits on the vin to tax it on line. once the tax is paid you'll be issued with a VRC in your name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

i managed to book an NCT online because i knew the cars date of first registration because it was on the motorcheck report.

as for the tax, the online site isn't accepting the last 6 as a pin and i cant use the online pin request service because the car isn't yet in my name. i think i may be stuck on that front. i wonder if i was to go in person to the motor tax office tomorrow is there anything they can do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

if its not in your name yet, theres the reason you cant tax it online. They have no adrres to post the disc too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,458 ✭✭✭Heroditas

andyseadog wrote: »
    i wonder if i was to go in person to the motor tax office tomorrow is there anything they can do?

If you go into the motor tax office, you'll be able to get your car taxed there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Heroditas wrote: »
    If you go into the motor tax office, you'll be able to get your car taxed there and then.

No , they won't tax it until it's in your name.

I tried and they wouldn't take my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,221 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ring shannon and ask for a pin!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

unkel wrote: »
    Ring shannon and ask for a pin!

How will a pin help ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,221 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

They register the car to you so they would be the first to know if you're in the system. I had an occasion where I couldn't yet tax my car online, but I could after I rang Shannon and they gave me a pin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

If it's the first taxation in Ireland, you should be able to use the last 6 digits of the chassis number as the pin - but you'll probably get stung for back tax from the reg date.

Worth checking on www.motortax.ie to see if it can be done this way (not sure if arrears can be done), and what the cost is.

Advertisement