Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2011 calves - Castrate or not?

Options
  • 10-01-2012 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

I have AA calves born from August to October 2011. All weaned.
    Am wondering whether it is best to castrate the bulls before letting them out this Spring?
    I intend selling the males at 10-12 months.
    What do ye think?
    Will there be more demand for them as bulls or as bullocks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭epfff

PatQfarmer wrote: »
    Am wondering whether it is best to castrate the bulls before letting them out this Spring?
    What do ye think?
    Are you mad
    Much better thrive as bulls
    They need a good summer of grass and a little touch of cheep ration.
    Then they are perfect for into shed forthe big feed for spring kill
    If you are anywhere round I will deal with u in august/september

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Let the lads that buy them castrate them if they want to. As bulls there will be approx 10% more lwg.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

have you the facilities to deal with bulls? are you young enough and mobile enough to deal with them? have you heifers round the place? are your border fences up to scratch. Yes bulls thrive great but there are plenty of little things that the figures dont take account of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

have you the facilities to deal with bulls? are you young enough and mobile enough to deal with them? have you heifers round the place? are your border fences up to scratch. Yes bulls thrive great but there are plenty of little things that the figures dont take account of

true
    but personally i would do what is nessicary to accomodate them.
    autumn born bulls will do great at grass and will be cheep.
    • always with good grass
    • good fencing
    • remote to bulling females
    • small groups, 20ish or less is ideal. (30+ is too many IMO but doable, 40+ disaster)

finishing them is another mater and should be left to the specalists imo. you'd want good access to cash for the feeding. they take an ocean of rations and not a great idea to have them on plain slats.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭alderdeer

What do ye think?

do ya mind me asking ya pat why you have them weaned already could they not have been left for another while, i have a few like ya myself this year and didnt think id wean them till may or so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

do the more traditional breeds respond as well to being left entire as the continentals?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

epfff wrote: »
    What do ye think?
    Are you mad
    Much better thrive as bulls
    They need a good summer of grass and a little touch of cheep ration.
    Then they are perfect for into shed forthe big feed for spring kill
    If you are anywhere round I will deal with u in august/september

Thanks! Near Clonmel, so you never know. Have hfrs also, but can run separately anyway.
    Will leave entire, as you are right that they will be ideal time-wise for finishing.

I have heifers, but fencing is good...and I am mobile enough to deal with them:). Bulls it is so, thanks.

alderdeer wrote: »
    do ya mind me asking ya pat why you have them weaned already could they not have been left for another while, i have a few like ya myself this year and didnt think id wean them till may or so

Mine are bucket-reared, so weaned at 6-8 weeks depending on size and health etc. Best to be on meal and off milk-replacer as soon as they can, imo.
    If under a cow, they would still be sucking for all they were worth.:)

Advertisement