Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking fizzy drinks

Options
  • 10-01-2012 6:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Bit of a basic question.

I converted to drinking sugar free sodas a few years back. I dont really take any sugar in my diet apart from whats in fruits but was wondering - how damaging for your teeth is carbonated soda, even when it's sugar-free.

I drink it daily and was wondering if I am best to give it up altogether from a dental health perspective.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Damokc

Motorist wrote: »
    Hi all,

Bit of a basic question.

I converted to drinking sugar free sodas a few years back. I dont really take any sugar in my diet apart from whats in fruits but was wondering - how damaging for your teeth is carbonated soda, even when it's sugar-free.

I drink it daily and was wondering if I am best to give it up altogether from a dental health perspective.

Many thanks.

Dunno how true it is but they say the artificial sweeteners used instead of sugar are actually worse!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Damokc wrote: »
    Dunno how true it is but they say the artificial sweeteners used instead of sugar are actually worse!

I think you might be right from a general health perspective, but I dont think from dental health. Aspartame can increase cravings for sugar and carbohydrates, deplete the body’s stores of chromium which is crucial for blood-sugar metabolism, and it supposedly can depress serotonin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

doesn't matter. both are acidic which is what causes the damage. if you must.....have it with your dinner but you'd be better off to avoid as much as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

My dentist told me if I must drink them then drink them through a straw if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

just to emphasise what digzy said...

regular coke has a pH of 2.5, diet coke has a pH of 2. on a logarithmic scale, that means diet coke is 5 times more acidic than regular coke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Motorist wrote: »
    Hi all,

Bit of a basic question.

Many thanks.

Regular soda ( Cocacola, 7 up....) have 2 damaging components; the huge amount of sugar and the acidity.
    The sugar will cause dental decay...
    The acidity will cause some loss of hard tissue due to acid erosion.

Diet drinks have sweeteners (sugar alcohols) that don't cause dental decay. They may not be great for your overall health but....
    Any carbonated drink is fizzy because it has dissolved CO2 . The resulting carbonic acid causes a drop in pH so is acidic and can cause erosion...

Fruit and fruit juices can cause erosion too. They also contain sugars but not the highly refined carbohydrates like in coke... so there is a smaller risk of decay with these.

Bottom line- you can't live on holy water so everything in moderation. Concentrate on reducing the frequency of intake to reduce risk of erosion and decay.

Good luck,
    OS

Advertisement