Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Van Halen song

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Kess73 wrote: »

Gotta say it is a big steaming pile of meh to my ears.

What were you expecting from this 'reunion'?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

scudzilla wrote: »
    What were you expecting from this 'reunion'?

To be honest not much at all. But they have somehow managed to sound even more bland and generic than I thought they would.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭RayCon

Gave it 2 back to back listens ...... I agree with "meh"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I can't separate the music from EVH treatment of Hagar, and Michael Anthony.

Very shabby. Last studio album was just dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

even putting aside the despicable nature of the brothers this is not good, not good at all.

Roth was never a great singer but it's gone baby, it's gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Finally got to listen to it at home. Have to agree with the Meh.

Have to add ...... awful video.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

The song is not that bad and hopefully it's just a filler on the new album. It sounds better without looking at that video.

rednik wrote: »
    The song is not that bad and hopefully it's just a filler on the new album. It sounds better without looking at that video.

Given that it is the lead single, one would think that it is one of the better songs according to the band.

The video really is cringeworthy.

BostonB wrote: »
    I can't separate the music from EVH treatment of Hagar, and Michael Anthony.
    Very shabby. Last studio album was just dire.

I think that for a lot of people (well me anyway :D) a shyte song/album will be met with a wry smile due to how Hager and Anthony were treated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭googsy

Sounds like they are just going through the motions.... sounds tired... no energy to their sound...

• Registered Users Posts: 72,168 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Considering Roth is back, I expected the video to be a multi-million pound song-and-dance extravaganza, not just the LA club soundcheck. Still, 'Tattoo' is good, not great but good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

As a friend of mine commented on this track, what's the point of getting rid of Gary Cherone if you're going to turn into Extreme?

Kess73 wrote: »
    I think that for a lot of people (well me anyway :D) a shyte song/album will be met with a wry smile due to how Hager and Anthony were treated.

Mike got the **** end of the stick but Sam always knew Ed and Dave could make up one day. I am a fan of both so I am in the middle on this. Sam has CF at the minute and they also have a new single out this week. I hope to see both bands this year.

Tattoo is a reworking of an old track, which there are three on the new album, here is a very old video of down in flames with CVH, video and audio not the best. I honestly hope the album is great, a few weeks and we will know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Roth was never a great singer

can't agree with this.

I think they've left it far too long for a reunion to work. This is kinda mediocre at best and I'm a big VH fan.
    I'll console myself with a Chickenfoot gig on Thursday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

roth has showman from a bygone era type potential. thats all i can say about this; ed's guitar doesn't even allude to how great a player he was

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I like the song, but it's sub par at best, I didn't expect much from them though given that this isn't really for the music in the true sense of the word...it's to pay eddie's child support bills and roth's divorce settlements

It reminds me of the line from The Simpsons "they drove a dumptruck full of money up to my house...I'm not made of stone!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

EVen the intro guitar solo/lick is Eddie ripping off Eddie (badly)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭BeefyS

its ok. i didnt like it at first but its kinda grown on me. im still holding out hope that the album will be good but as someone else said here, it seems like they left the reunion too late :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

My only contribution to this thread is that this:

valerie-bertinelli.jpg

is wolfgangs mother.

does not compute.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

rednik wrote: »

Thats very promising.

I kinda like the track, very meh but not a a poor song.

Video was tripe though

Here's another couple of tasters,album is out here next Friday.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/van-halen-china-town-exclusive-song-preview/

http://www.vhnd.com/

^ That's slightly better than the lead single ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Got the album - really impressed! It kicks ass. I thought the single was very flat but the album is fantastic. Loads of fast numbers, Diamond Dave and Eddie on top form.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

The singles probably the weakest track on the album form the couple of listens I've had.

I quite like the album. Something that they could have released 30 years ago.

Gave the album a couple of listens. Tattoo is probably one of the weakest tracks alright, baffling that it was picked as a single, but I am not blown away by the rest of the album though. But then again I was never a huge fan of VH and generally preferred the Hager stuff.

Is it just me or is there a real Aerosmith vibe/sound on quite a few of the tracks? Even some of Dave's singing seems to be done in a similar style to that of 80's era Tyler.

Overall not a great album for me, but certainly not the terrible album I was expecting. Think that it is probably a 5 out of ten album at best for non VH fans, and maybe a 6 or 7 out of ten album for VH fans. But then again if VH make their fans happy with the album the rest of us can go to hell as VH will have done right by their fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Gave it a couple of listens today and have to say I was pleasantly surprised.

Track 1 :Tattoo is by far the worst track on the album as previously said on here.
    The album slowly build up pace from there.
    Chinatown, one of the heavier tracks is not a million miles away from hot for teacher and is class.
    As is, is another good tune and
    Stay frosty is a great little acoustic ditty a la Ice Cream man.

Dave's range is not quite there and ed has definitely slowed down which is to be expected but its a hell of an album none the less and definitely a grower.
    Either way, great to have them back and they can only improve from here...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I wasn't impressed with the single, but some friends of mine gave the album a very high rating. Not heard anything else off it yet myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I bought it today and it's not bad. Not a classic by any means but better than I was expecting. Stay Frosty is the best track imo.

By the way, I'm one of the few who actually liked Tattoo!

Advertisement