Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flatland or Interlet

Options
  • 10-01-2012 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hi,

I'm moving over to London in a couple of weeks and am looking for a bedsit/studio.

The agencies of flatland and Interlet come up alot, has anyone used these agencies or have any reccommendations?

Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Avoid the agencys.

Use websites like:
    www.rightmove.co.uk
    www.spareroom.co.uk
    www.gumtree.co.uk

I used spareroom to find one. Try dealing with landlords directly to avoid paying the fees agencys charge

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

+1 on the "avoid agencies if possible" tip, though it's not easy :(

Have a look at the FAQ - there's a lot of advice from folks who've made the move there.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

moving over myself in a few weeks.will be staying in ealing with family for the first while and then we'll be looking for a flat.can anyone recommend a particular area to live.

I have been concentrating my job search in the city centre and south/west london areas, so id need to be close enough to these areas.

any tips or recommendations would be very much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

cronin_j wrote: »
    Avoid the agencys.

Use websites like:
    www.rightmove.co.uk
    www.spareroom.co.uk
    www.gumtree.co.uk

I used spareroom to find one. Try dealing with landlords directly to avoid paying the fees agencys charge

In the middle of searching myself in North London area and I'm finding a lot better quality of property on spareroom and some awful tack on gumtree. I Must check out rightmove as well, thanks.

In the middle of searching myself in North London area and I'm finding a lot better quality of property on spareroom and some awful tack on gumtree. I Must check out rightmove as well, thanks.

Ya you will find that alright. My own personal experience was the same. Also found the ones on Gumtree werent as honest with the locations etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 reusable

Thanks for the tips. I placed an ad on spare room.co.uk and I was surprised at how many people contacted me. I'd advise anyone moving to place an ad and see what comes up.

did you go see any of them?

Not yet, arriving tomorrow and will try to see some on Friday and the weekend.

reusable wrote: »
    Not yet, arriving tomorrow and will try to see some on Friday and the weekend.

ah cool, be prepared to be a little shocked at some of the places. I found people were literally living in shoe boxes and looking for 600 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

cronin_j wrote: »
    Ya you will find that alright. My own personal experience was the same. Also found the ones on Gumtree werent as honest with the locations etc.

I've used Gumtree a few times and never had an issue with it, but I'll admit you do have to wade through a lot of crap to find something good.

My advice re house-hunting is:
    1. Don't touch agencies.

2. Treat it almost like a job interview. When you see an ad you like don't write a mail saying 'I like it, when can I see it?'. Tell them who you are, what you're about. You can copy and paste obviously but make it personal to that house (eg, I like the house cos it's near where I work, it has a garden, whatever). Every room I've got over here the landlord has told me they picked me over the 10-15 other people because I did the above, and when I've had to pick housemates I've applied the same criteria.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advice, especially for spare room.co.uk. I finally found a room in oval for £75 a week. It's tiny but it will do for starters. I'd reccommend anyone using spare room to upgrade for complete acce, it's just £3 through your phone for 24 hours.

Glad I avoided agencies. I did go to see flatland. They wanted £60 to make appointments for me to view apts but none where as cheap as their website claim. I found loot.com usefull and the free papers.

Good luck to anyone else moving over shortly!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Sam V Smith

Found my place on rightmove... I got an incredible deal. 280 / month with bills and council tax included in the price.

It's even in a great area - right beside Ealing common tube station. It's a small room, but big enough to fit a desk / chair in too.

Goes to show that there are bargains to be found if you look in the right places.

I found gumtree too risky. At least two obvious scammers got back to me trying to extort me out of deposit money.

Advertisement