Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV USB Port

Options
  • 10-01-2012 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I am looking to buy a new TV. Its been quite a while since I bought a TV and have noticed that new TV's now have USB ports. Having read some info it seems that not all TV's with a USB port will allow you play films so I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on which brand I should go for which would allow me play films via USB.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭PureBred

I bough the LG 42LK530T LCD at the weekend. Has what your looking for.

You can bowse the USB drive using the remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Samsung works grand as well, avi's, even mkv's
    if you are buying new, its worth getting internet\Lan connenction.
    Built into most new TV's these days

• Registered Users Posts: 25,358 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Most TVs with a USB port will play some kind of movies and will do a slide show for photos. If you have movies on a hard drive then you need to check the file type (*.mp4, *.avi etc.) and then check the spec. sheet for the various models of TV that you might be interested in, they will list the suported movie file formats.

If you stick with LG, Sony or Samsung you should be ok, might be less ok with other cheapo brands. Another thing to watch would be if the TV has an Ethernet port or Wi-Fi capabiity which would allow you to upgrade the firmware from the internet, probably essential if you want future video formats supported.

Bear in that you can also buy media players which will take the movie from an attached external USB disk drive and play the movie through the TV HDMI port so it's not absoltely essential that the TV has a USB port in order to play movies off a HDD.

Advertisement