Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance quote

Options
  • 10-01-2012 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

Changing the car soon,narrowed it down to either mini clubman cooper s (2012) or golf gti mk6 (2010)

Currently with AXA,

25 male, 3 yrs no claims bonus

Current car 05 golf 2.0 tdi 140bhp

Quote on clubman s - went down by €500 on my current policy

Quote on gti - refused - have to be 30+ to get a quote.

Is this standard practice these days?

My broker currently looking at other insurers at the moment, just thought i do a quick post here in the meantime with some feedback!

Regards

Damo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

damo86 wrote: »
    Changing the car soon,narrowed it down to either mini clubman cooper s (2012) or golf gti mk6 (2010)

Currently with AXA,

25 male, 4 yrs no claims bonus

Current car 05 golf 2.0 tdi 140bhp

Quote on clubman s - went down by €500 on my current policy

Quote on gti - refused - have to be 30+ to get a quote.

Is this standard practice these days?

My broker currently looking at other insurers at the moment, just thought i do a quick post here in the meantime with some feedback!

Regards

Damo

contact axa direct as may be quicker than waiting for broker feedback

0906473455 is athlone branch per google

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

they got back to me...no quote!

Only quote drivers 30+ on this car!

Amazes me how the market has changed, as I enquired 3 years ago on a 2005 gti as deciding between a 05 2.0tdi and 05 gti and it was the same price.

I was 22 with 0 yrs NCB, was paying 2.6k for the privilege though!

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Your current insurers are obliged to offer a quotation on any vehicle you are licenced to drive. Obviously they don't want to cover it and hope you go elsewhere but you should stick to your guns. An alternative quotation may be your best option as your current insurers can offer a hefty quote, but they must stop short as to offer a figure that effectively amounts to a declinature

my broker did ring around...got a quote from one crowd for 4k,

think the main thing is no matter what I'm gonna get hammered for insurance.

Gti i was looking is a great buy, ex demo 3k on the clock.

The sales person was also very disappointed that I couldn't get a quote!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

GTi's are everywhere and relatively cheap these days, I'm guessing that in the 3 years since your last quote insurance companies have had to fork out a fortune on GTi's and have hence black marked them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

my broker did ring around...got a quote from one crowd for 4k,

think the main thing is no matter what I'm gonna get hammered for insurance.
    You need to do your own shopping around, rather than relying on just one broker. Ring every ins co, and a good selection of brokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Sounds like you're discounting the Clubman; I also have one in Cooper S and love it. Have had it over 3 years, lots of power and have done 300 mile runs in it no problem. I'm 6'5" and with a bigger waist than you can imagine. Like most Minis it has more space upfront than a Golf.

If you're speccing it up, I would get them to drop the run flat tyres as they are hard on the back and especially so on Irish roads - a noticeable difference from what I usually dive it on in the UK.

If you go with the GTi, make sure not to get the tartan seats, they're rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Marcusm wrote: »
    If you go with the GTi, make sure not to get the tartan seats, they're rank.
    You kids, you probably don't even remember the Mk1. Joking aside, I think the checkered cloth looks a lot better than cheapo Volkswagen leather.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Tell them you own the car, they have to quote you

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Anan1 wrote: »
    You kids, you probably don't even remember the Mk1. Joking aside, I think the checkered cloth looks a lot better than cheapo Volkswagen leather.

Actually I'm not a kid and I do remember it very well; a cousin who was on the building site in London drove one back to show how well he was doing - this would have been around 1981. Actually think he was getting the money somewhere else. There might be some heritage in the tartan but that doesn't stop it looking dire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

fullstop wrote: »
    Tell them you own the car, they have to quote you

All they will do then is quote him some outragous figure to price him out of buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Try Britton insurance, I have found them great.

Cheers for the replies!

The clubman s is a serious contender have one specced up already, chili pack n' all.

also love gti too, the 2010 model im looking, getting it for good price as the dealership wants to shift...for obvious reasons.

The one im trying to buy and test drove has the cloth tarten seats...I love them! I'm a bit of cloth fan..never been too pushed on leather.

Back on topic so,

Time to make a few phonecalls so. I also thought the broker does this for you!!

Anybody in the same position and who do you recommend.

@ draffodx

Yip your right there feckin everywhere, see i few people in them acting the maggot too! (as in all cars i guess haha!)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Have you tried 123.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I had the same issue with the s2000 when I bought it as my current insurer wanted crazy money for the remainder of the year.

Ended up cancelling my policy and taking out a new one for marginally more than what they wanted for 6 months cover.Ring around everywhere, it's your only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

Hi

I've a golf GTi insured with Quinn. I expected the insurance to double when I bought it. They declined to insure it saying I had to be over 30 full license etc etc.

I'm 28, full license and 4 yrs no claims. Gave the office in blanch a copy of the sales receipt as proof I'd bought it and they insured me. Policy went up by 300e which is what I expected anyway.

As others have said, 123.ie should quote you.
    FBD, no nonsense, Aviva, Allianz, Zurich, tesco etc etc will not insure a GTI unless you are already with them.

Quinn worked out a better deal for me though, even though the quote was at first refused.

Once you buy the car, they have to quote you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

bit risky buying the car and then saying ..now you have to insure me . they say ok.. 5000 will be fine :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Pm me Dam86

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

I got quoted on 07 mk5 gti, 1200 euro. Changing my policy over to the golf in February with my policy up in october

lifted the phone and shopped around!! :)

+1 for first ireland

Quoted me 1200 for the gti, so hopefully ill be picking up my new gti in the next few days!! :)

..pics to follow hehe

thanks all for your help

edit: thats freaky the above post...same quote!! :O

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

lifted the phone and shopped around!! :)

+1 for first ireland

Quoted me 1200 for the gti, so hopefully ill be picking up my new gti in the next few days!! :)

..pics to follow hehe

thanks all for your help

edit: thats freaky the above post...same quote!! :O

Excellent news, I had to work hard to get a quote for my Evo. In the end a bit of hard work and I got a quote.

Advertisement