Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How do you get this scum off your alloys

Options
  • 10-01-2012 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭

I have tried scrubbing and tar remover but no good. I assume it sh*t off the brakes, Anyone know how to clean it off??

DSC00042.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

If it didn't come off with that effort, then I'd imagine it's more corrosion of the finish/surface than anything else...

I'd imagine you might need to get them refurbished to get them looking well again.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 merc609

Try a brillo pad.. worked on mine. Left a few v light scratches but cant notice them. Worth a try before a refurb. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You need De'Ironiser solution.

Cleancar.ie or spirit dealing have different products that will get it off. look up youtube for deironising videos there are some really good tough products on the market.

merc609 wrote: »
    Try a brillo pad.. worked on mine. Left a few v light scratches but cant notice them. Worth a try before a refurb. :)

DONT DO THIS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

You could try alloy wheel cleaner too. I've used Wonderwheels with pretty good results. Any motor factors or accessory store should have it. If that doesn't work, then you'll have to try the tougher stuff.

Abrasives are going to damage the paint finish on the wheels, which means you'll need to refinish them. If the wheels are very badly stained/scuffed you could see about having them professionally refurbished.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭roryq69

try some t-cut or 3m compound. usually does the trick for me. Brings the alloy up really nice too. just remember to put some polish on the wheels after to stop it getting so bad again. Regular cleaning with auto glym wheel cleaner should keep them in good condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

listermint wrote: »
    DONT DO THIS!

You can get wire wool in different grades, finer than Brillos, try 000 grade.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    You can get wire wool in different grades, finer than Brillos, try 000 grade.

This will still scratch the alloy regardless.

My option is the best option for this particular condition abrasives are only ever a last resort with a repair required afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Got some wonderwheels and t-cut this evening. Will have a go at it in the morning and tell ye how it goes. Thanks for all the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 merc609

listermint wrote: »
    DONT DO THIS!

Was only suggesting this towards a refurb.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭deandean

I had spots and black stuff just like that on the wheels of the Volvo, after trying other stuff with no luck I got it off 100% with a combination of DeIroniser and Brillo pads.

The Brillo pads caused no damage whatsoever to the wheels - obviously go easy. The wheels came back pretty much perfect.

The deironiser is very severe, so clean wheels well and apply a good wax afterwards.

One funny thing - the Deironiser EATS the Brillo pads, they last about two minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭livingthedream

Once you do get them clean put some wheel sealant on them to help prevent it happening again. It will also make your wheels easier to clean next time. I apply wheel sealant each or every other time I clean my wheels and it makes life a lot easier...

Cheers

LTD

Advertisement