Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car with 3 separate seats

Options
  • 10-01-2012 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hello All,

I have raised a similar thread previously but the time has finally arrived to purchase a new car with the capacity to accomadate 3 seats in the second row. Baby number 3 is due in a matter of weeks.

At this stage I have it down to a Citroen c4 grand picasso, Ford Smax, VW Touran or a Honda FRV. I am not too concerned about petrol or diesel as the annual mileage should be below 13k although fuel efficiency is important with the rising cost of petrol/diesel.

I have been trawling through websites for the last few months and even test drove a few but still not much closer to a decision. :confused:My budget is max €15k so will be looking at a 08 most likely.

I would appreciate any advice for owners of the above as there is nothing to beat that inside knowledge. All advice much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Have you considered a Peugeot 308SW? Only non people carrier on the market with three separate seats (and option for seven in total). Smaller than most of your suggestions, yet with a bigger boot!

From reading around, it seems the Touran's reliability is somewhat suspect.

C4 GP should come in cheaper than the others and seems to be pretty reliable. Pay close attention to the emissions however! The semi-auto gearbox version (EGC) has lower emissions than the manual - at some stage in 2008, the emissions on the EGC dropped from 150 to 140, putting it in a cheaper tax band. Try to get the 140!

FRV is a quirky one, but quite practical. Note that its boot isn't especially huge. Very few diesels around, as I don't believe they only ever officially sold the petrol here. Try to get an EX spec with leather etc.

S Max is probably the default choice for the more spirited driver. Don't think there's any huge reliabilty concerns. they ain't cheap though.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

bensboys wrote: »
    My budget is max €15k so will be looking at a 08 most likely.

No McLaren F1's then...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

My wife has a Corolla Verso for the last few yrs and raves about it. Grant it when the 7 seats are up the boot is non existent but the same will be for the Touran/FRV

the 2nd row of seats all move independently and also tilt back independently. The floor in front of the 2nd row aswell is flat so the middle seat doesnt feel cramped even for an adult.

I was skeptical that they were smaller than the rest when she wanted one and then I went to see one and was surprised.

This one with a bit of haggling should be got for near your budget and its in your neck of the woods aswell

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201122202631478

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭FrontDoor

I'd strongly recommend a Touran, in diesel form.

I'd try to get a 1.6TDI version though, 2010, from the UK. The VRT will be much more reasonable than on the 1.9.

Lots of 2011 models over there for £13k, so a 2010 should be cheaper.

Not the best looking car in the world, but extremely practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭alias no.9

We've had a 2007 Grand Scenic 1.5dci since our second was born nearly 2 years ago. The OH was changing from a Micra so we went the whole hog so as not to be forced to change again if we had a third. Despite the Renault Reputation, it hasn't missed a beat mechanically or electrically, other than regular service items and ehhh 2 visits to the body shop, it needed one bushing for the NCT. Headlight bulbs are a PITA to change but other than that I can't fault it. Rear most seats are occasional only, not really suitable for adults or child seats but there's little difference in price between 5 and 7 seaters so we went 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭bensboys

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    My wife has a Corolla Verso for the last few yrs and raves about it. Grant it when the 7 seats are up the boot is non existent but the same will be for the Touran/FRV

the 2nd row of seats all move independently and also tilt back independently. The floor in front of the 2nd row aswell is flat so the middle seat doesnt feel cramped even for an adult.

I was skeptical that they were smaller than the rest when she wanted one and then I went to see one and was surprised.

This one with a bit of haggling should be got for near your budget and its in your neck of the woods aswell

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201122202631478

Hadn't considered the verso on the basis that they looked a bit narrow in the back and I was dubious on the prospect of getting in 3 car seats, might need to re-consider.

FrontDoor wrote: »
    I'd strongly recommend a Touran, in diesel form.

I'd try to get a 1.6TDI version though, 2010, from the UK. The VRT will be much more reasonable than on the 1.9.

Lots of 2011 models over there for £13k, so a 2010 should be cheaper.

Not the best looking car in the world, but extremely practical.

I am not too keen on the visual of the Touran but hubby has a passat and will never buy anything but a VW again, I had considered going to the UK but there seems to be quite a bit of variation in the vrt prices being charges....I think I may have left it too late as well on that front with our impending arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭FrontDoor

I am not too keen on the visual of the Touran but hubby has a passat and will never buy anything but a VW again, I had considered going to the UK but there seems to be quite a bit of variation in the vrt prices being charges....I think I may have left it too late as well on that front with our impending arrival.
    The 1.9 Touran is Band D and relatively expensive to import whereas the newer 1.6 is Band B and is cheaper in terms of VRT.

You should easily get a 2009 1.9 TDI Touran for around 15k. They seem to be about £9500 + 3000 ish VRT.

Best of luck with the new arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Hadn't considered the verso on the basis that they looked a bit narrow in the back and I was dubious on the prospect of getting in 3 car seats, might need to re-consider.

Some friends of mine got a Verso when they had their third and now with the 4th, they're finally using the back row. Apparently limited buggy space has been good in ensuring that no 3 walks. Also, they have a roof box for extra storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

ya its worth a look...certainly not narrow in the back. I've had 3 adults sit very comfortably in the back on trips with no complaints.

Since the 3 seats move independently, I found the best scenario was put the youngest in the middle and push it as far forward as you can and the older 2 on the outer seats pushed a little back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Isnt it gas that years ago when our folks drove us around the largest car they ever had was a corrolla and there was 3 of us 4 years apart.

How did they cope with a Corrolla yet nowadays people seem to jump for people carriers instead.

I'd buy an estate before a people carrier if extra room is required. Heck I'd even have a big ass Volvo estate if needs be.. kinda fond of those weirdly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

My brother gets 3 full sized baby seats in the back of his W211 (Merc E200) and also managed it in his XC90

E39MSport wrote: »
    My brother gets 3 full sized baby seats in the back of his W211 (Merc E200) and also managed it in his XC90

again would far rather drive one of those than a people carrier!!

http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=624966&r=s.php%3Fm%3D94%26o%3D853%26g%3D0

I know this is way under budget but 7 seater Volvo. Not blocky enough for my liking though. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭useless

Isnt it gas that years ago when our folks drove us around the largest car they ever had was a corrolla and there was 3 of us 4 years apart.

How did they cope with a Corrolla yet nowadays people seem to jump for people carriers instead.

I'd buy an estate before a people carrier if extra room is required. Heck I'd even have a big ass Volvo estate if needs be.. kinda fond of those weirdly.

Yea, before there was legislation about child seats and rear seatbelts and all that nanny-state-EU safety malarkey...:rolleyes:
    I spent a good part of the '80s in the back of a Fiat 131, standing between the front seats. The thing didnt even have rear seat belts...

And as for the estate-instead-of-people-carrier issue- modern child seats are so damn big and bulky that it's a struggle to get three across the back seat in lots of saloons & estates. And if/when you do, you'll break your back trying to lift in and out the kid in the middle seat:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ShiresV2

http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=624966&r=s.php%3Fm%3D94%26o%3D853%26g%3D0

I know this is way under budget but 7 seater Volvo. Not blocky enough for my liking though. lol

That Volvo also appears to have integrated booster cushions in the rear seats. So if your two eldest only need booster seats and not proper baby seats, you're sorted.

I have a V70 just like this for carting the kids around in. 7 seats, and integrated boosters in the 2nd row. Dead handy and masses of space for carting stuff around. The price on that one might be a bit rich though? I dunno.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

We have an S-Max, shedloads of room, nothing negative to think about so far

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭zizou_

Was in the same boat. Needed a reliable petrol car with 3 full size seats. Ended up getting a honda frv. Seemed much wider in thee back than a verso but only has 6 seats. The online reviews are very good and the boot is big enough for us. Will be using roof box for longer trips.

zizou_ wrote: »
    Was in the same boat. Needed a reliable petrol car with 3 full size seats. Ended up getting a honda frv. Seemed much wider in thee back than a verso but only has 6 seats. The online reviews are very good and the boot is big enough for us. Will be using roof box for longer trips.

How efficient is the Honda FRV? its a 1.8 petrol and I don't want to be constantly at the petrol station, Honda have a great reputation so reliabilty shouldn't be a problem:)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭zizou_

How efficient is the Honda FRV? its a 1.8 petrol and I don't want to be constantly at the petrol station, Honda have a great reputation so reliabilty shouldn't be a problem:)

I only picked ours up this week so can't give you much info.:) The average mpg quoted online is 37mpg (vs 44 for the diesel). Honda engines usually get good mpg for their size so i'm hoping it won't be too bad. It's a 6 speed so that will help on the motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Does anybody know anything about these, I'm in the same bot re new arrival on the way and this looks like a possible solution rather than spending a bomb on a new motor that'll shed thousands in depreciation each year. They are a UK based company and appear to be ok'd by all the major insurance companies. Definately something I'd consider if I knew they were safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Looks like something at a fun fair

edit... well, at least the middle shot does. Nothing remotely fun about the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Honestly those seats are a great idea but not something I'd be willing to bolt my kids into...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Honestly those seats are a great idea but not something I'd be willing to bolt my kids into...
    Having read through the site they have passed stringent safety tests, not sure myself, will need to look into it more.

Advertisement